Urologic Cancer Community
Just found lump on testicle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urologic cancers including: Bladder Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Colon Cancer, Penis Cancer, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Ureter Cancer.

Just found lump on testicle

My 14 yr old son came to me tonight and said he had just found a lump on his right testicle.  He was very frightened that it might be testicular cancer.  Noone in our family has had this and my son's testicles both dropped when he was a baby.  I checked the lump and it is about 1/2" in diameter, solid and is painful when touched.  We are calling the doctor tomorrow to get him in for a check-up but I was wondering if you have any insight into what this could be.  He had a complete physical this past summer and nothing was found.

Thank you.
Sue
You are correct in making an appointment to see the doctor. A testicular lump could be many things from an infection to a collection of fluids or blood vessels. However, testicular cancer is also a possibility so it is good to get checked sooner than later. The most common ages for testicular cancer is 15-35 but it does occur younger and older.

Please let me know how things go at the doctors.

Mike

The appointment to see the doctor is a good step to take. While there is a possibility of testicular cancer, this usually presents with a painless mass. The descriptions of pain are a bit difficult though to assess for this particular organ (as it is wired with so many nerves, sometimes even a gentle touch may occasionally be reported as painful).
Anther thing to think about would be an hernia (a segment of intestine entering into the scrotum).
Discuss the findings with the doctors.
Sta positive.