Urologic Cancer Community
Pain after open partial nephrectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urologic cancers including: Bladder Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Colon Cancer, Penis Cancer, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Ureter Cancer.

Pain after open partial nephrectomy

Hello,  i was diagnosed with RCC stage 1 after a  right open partial nephrectomy in August 2008.  I have been having severe constant pain in my right flank since the surgery.  I have had several CT scans and a MRI most recently.  I was told that there is 3cm of scar tissue on the kidney where the surgery was.  I was told to take it easy and take my pain medications.  That was about two months ago.  I am still having the pain and if not worse at times.  Could the pain be caused from anything esle?   Could it just be muscle pain from the surgery?   Is there any other tests or treatments that might help determine if it is the scare tissue or something else?   Any help would be appreciated...

Thank you
I'd like to hear from patients after partial nephrectomy open surgery.
My husband just got his surgery done a week ago and everyday at evening his temperature is going up up to 37.7 - 37.8C.
Please share if somebody has the same.
Thank you.
Hi,I had open part nephrectomy 11/06,,with part rib removed,,,i have been in severe pain constantly since,,was told i always would have pain,,Neurontin, helps but am unable to function while taking,,the only thing that helps is narcotic,,not good i know but i am lucid while taking,,,pain is unbearable at times,,hope u have better luck,,keep on your doctor for help
I know this thread is old, but I will comment anyway...I had an open partial nephrectomy almost 1 year ago to the day...surgery was Dec. 15, 2014.  The pain from the scar tissue is not fun.  I still have pain from this surgery a year later, particularly when the weather changes for some reason.  Scans have shown that there are no abnormalities in the surgical area (aside from those caused by the surgery).  Doctors have all said that the "new normal" that I will have to adjust to will include scar tissue pain.  Removing scar tissue only creates more scar tissue, so I will just have to adapt....it is still better to deal with a mild or moderate pain and have the tumor gone than the alternative though.