Urologic Cancer Community
Prognosis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urologic cancers including: Bladder Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Colon Cancer, Penis Cancer, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Ureter Cancer.

Prognosis?

I am a 42 y.o. white female recently diagnosed with a 2.4 cm exophytic, enhancing renal mass on the upper pole of my left kidney. I am scheduled for a partial nephrectomy in about a week. I do not know what my T, N, or M stages are yet as the doctors say they cannot determine that until the surgery; however, I have been informed that there is a possibility of adrenal gland involvement due to the tumor's proximity. The tumor was initially missed on CT due to its location (was partially hidden by my spleen and stomach), but was discovered incidentally on a follow-up CT with contrast. What I'd like to know is the likelihood of metastatis due to the tumor's location and the fact it is protruding from my kidney. I presented with two episodes of gross hematuria and flank pain that is believed to be unrelated to the mass.

Obviously, I am nervous about the surgery and about having to wait for my staging and Fuhrman scale. I know that my age and sex are unusual for a diagnosis of RCC, and my doctors are pretty confident surgery will be curative, but I'm new to all of this, and I'm scared. What's the likelihood this could be collecting duct carcinoma? Could this have anything to do with low Vitamin D levels in my blood detected earlier this year (14 ng/ml)?

Also, my father has prostate cancer - is there any genetic link between different urologic cancers?

Sorry for all the questions but thanks for your help!
Tags: kidney mass, Renal cell carcinoma, partial nephrectomy, prognosis, Cancer, kidney