Urologic Cancer Community
Should I have surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urologic cancers including: Bladder Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Colon Cancer, Penis Cancer, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Ureter Cancer.

Should I have surgery?

I was informed in December 2008 that CT scan showed that I had a 1.2 cm exophytic, heterogeneously enhancing lesion in my left kidney which appears stable. however it is consistent with a renal cell carcinoma. It was decided that we would watch it and take a CT scan ever six months. I have had two CT scans since that time with no change in the size. I have no symtoms (symptoms). My Specialist suggest that I have it removed, what do you think?
Hi- This is my first time posting here but I felt I should after reading your post. I was dx'd with a tumor approx 2-3cm on my rt kidney last summer. Mine was quite symptomatic, with pain and nausea. The CT scan showed an enhancing lesion and I was told it was RCC. I even went for a 2nd opinion. I decided to have the surgery because I had breast ca 12yrs ago. I had a rt open partial nephrectomy 10/09. When they brought me to ICU, I heard them say it was benign!!! Now , don't get me wrong- I'm very happy it turned out the way it did. They also did get rid of the pain I was having- However, in your case, if you have no symptoms as you say- and they are following you with serial CT scans- as long as there are no changes- if It were me, I'd just refer to it as my twin! It is a pretty rough surgery. Just my opinion- Good luck to you and if you have any questions- I'm here.