Urologic Cancer Community
Testicular Cancer - Some advice please.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urologic cancers including: Bladder Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Colon Cancer, Penis Cancer, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Ureter Cancer.

Testicular Cancer - Some advice please.

I was diagnosed with Stage IS testicular cancer this past week.  The shock of this all is still settling in.  I'd like to get some input on whether the course of action being recommended by the urologist is correct in nature.  My situation is vastly different and as I have been told extraordinarily rare by my urologist.

I was born with only one testicle.  The testicle was unascended.  I think that's the proper term.  It was in my abdominal area.  I had surgery performed when I was between 6 to 8 weeks old.  My parents have told me that the doctor informed them that there was only one, not two.  The urologist I'm seeing is less certain of this and believes I may have been born with two but they removed one.

Either way, I was diagnosed with having a very small tumor approximately 5mm to 7mm in size.  First an ultrasound and then blood tests were done and I was informed the marker levels were positive.

I am told the first two and normal procedures are to surgically remove the testicle or to perform radiation treatment.

Being that I am only in my early 30's and still wanting to have a family this obviously isn't an option.  

I have been told that the recommendation is some form of chemo therapy using a lighter dosage than would normally be administered.  The idea being to not affect my body or my fertility as much.

First, does this all sound accurate in what most doctors would do in this situation?  I can't see this being the every day case that a urologist gets.  Looking at the shear odds of being born with one testicle and then being born with only one that is unsacended and then being diagnosed with testicular cancer the odds are freakishly against it all.

The doctor is unable to provide me with a real good estimate for how well the chemo treatment would be.  I've already been given a referral to the mayo clinic.  I'm obviously against surgical removal and would go to just about any length to ensure it doesn't happen.

I'm also told that if it was to be removed I'd also likely have to go on some form of hormone replacement for an indefinite period of time.  

Either way none of this is extremely positive to me.