Urologic Cancer Community
What happens after BCG treatment done for Baldder Cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urologic cancers including: Bladder Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Colon Cancer, Penis Cancer, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Ureter Cancer.

I was told my doctor that he will check the bladder to see what is the prognosis.
My 6 th BCG is on October 7/08. How long is the wait to check for Bladder.
1 st diagnosis was Superficial non invasive bladder cancer.
If the 2 diagnosis could be worse than the 1 st one or would it be better.

I am assuming you have Tis (in situ disease, which has a high risk for subsequent progression) disease. This is usually given a 6 week, once a week course of BCG, then a full re-evaluation at 12 weeks. What is being sought by that time would be residual disease, in which a repeat course may be considered. Discuss your concerns with your doctors, the best estimate as to likelihood of relapse would best be done by the doctor who performed the original removal of all gross tumor. Pathology reports may also help estimate risk for residual disease. As to the question as which is better the first or the 2nd diagnosis, I assume you are asking if the residual disease or the relapse would constitute a poorer risk overall. The finding of a residual or relapse would confer a poorer outcome. Alternative medications may be tried if the second course of BCG fails. Some patients may even undergo surgery to remove the entire bladder.

In your personal expert opinion, do you recommend that BCG be done after a bladder cancer surgery?

My husband had bladder tumor (not bladder) removed. They could not do a one-time chemo treatment as they had to use a stent.  My husband was told that as soon as his prednisone was lower than 5 or less a day (he is taking for GCA) they would have the treatment (once a week for 6 weeks).    

However, about 2/3 weeks ago the doctor scoped my  husband's bladder and didn't see anything to warrant the BCG.    Can a uro/oncologist actually see the bladder and say: nothing there to worry about....alll clear.  No BCG for  now?They will do a repeat checkup of the bladdder in Dec.  

I worry that the little cancer cells are just not within view and remain same color as the rest of the inside of the bladder but does it mean he is now cured from this cancer?

Thanks for your help to all of us on the forum....CJ