Urologic Cancer Community
prostate cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urologic cancers including: Bladder Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Colon Cancer, Penis Cancer, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Ureter Cancer.

prostate cancer

My psa test results are in the range of 3.55 to 3.88 for psa testing which is in the "normal range".  However my free psa is 7-8.
Is this test result for the free psa of concern?
My reading states that the free psa should be in the 20-25 range.
Can anyone give me some clairification?
Thank you,
Jerry
I am not a doctor. but can tell you that studies indicate the percentage of free PSA is lower in men with prostate cancer. Doctors will usually suggest a biopsy at 20% or less and a PSA level from 4 to 10. Some PSA is bound to blood proteins and some travels freely; this just tells them how much is traveling freely. Even though your PSA level is under four, it may have risen from 3.0 to 3.55 in a short time. What is your history?

It doesn't mean you have prostate cancer; it just may alert your urologist to do further testing.

Good luck.
I hope yours is not the case but my PSA was 3.0 and free PSA was 7% and after a biopsy was done  had prostate cancer but at least it did not spread and was contained in the prostate.  I had a robotic prostectomy performed.  It is my understanding that a low free PSA usually denotes cancer but with a low PSA it usually hasnt spread beyond the prostate.
Good luck to you.
i read about psa and as a rule of thumb, any psa over 4 has a 10% chance of cancer.
as you probably know, it depends if it is localised or advanced.
i am a 45 yera old with a psa of 6.9 on the first blood test 4 weeks later had psa of 5.9 gowing for biopsy on 2nd feb 2010 trying to get my head around all the information
I'm 50, had several routine PSA tests after turning 50 with a month in-between each test. All results were abnormal (>3) with very low free PSA ratio (7%). I read that below 7% means almost always cancer so was prepared for the worst (and ruined my vacation worrying about it). Anyway, I had a biopsy and full scan of all other internal organs and 100+ other blood tests. All 12 cores taken gave a good representation of the tissue and there were no signs of cancer in any of them. No signs of cancer anywhere and all the other blood tests (3 full pages in total) were all normal. So a low PSA ratio doesn't always mean cancer. I don't think I will bother having any more PSA tests, not unless I have symptoms or until a better treatment becomes available. From what I've read, prostate surgery, even nerve sparing, isn't exactly successful, so why bother testing for something that doesn't really have a cure?