Urologic Cancers Expert Forum
Blood in urine

This forum is for quesitons about: Abdominal Pain, Anemia, Back Pain (lower back), Biopsy, Bone Scan, Bladder Cancer, Blood in Urine, Bone Pain or Tenderness, Colon Cancer, Cystoscopy, Ejaculation Pain, Genetic or Other Markers, Incontinence, IVP, Kidney Cancer, MRI of Abdomen, Penis Cancer, Radiation Therapy, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Renal Scan, Robotic Surgery, Testicular Cancer, Ultrasound, Ureter Cancer, Urinalysis, Urinary Difficulties.

Blood in urine

I have had blood in my urine for 5 years now.
I was sent to 2 urologist years back and they
both said your young, your fine, go home
basically. I just got referred to my 3rd urologist
he sent me for a ct scan and the results were great.
He scheduled me for a cystoscopy  scheduled for Monday. If the CT scan
was fine dose that mean I don't need to be concerned with
cancer? My rbc is 4+ and Squam Epi is 3+.
Gross hematuria can be caused by a long list of possible diagnosis that ranges from no specific cause, BPH, infection, stones, and malignancy.  Even one episode of gross hematuria (visible blood) deserves a complete workup.  This includes imaging of the kidneys (ultrasound, cat scan, mri), urine tests (urinanalysis, culture, and cytology), and a cystoscopy.  In patients with a history of smoking, bladder cancer is the most common diagnosis of gross hematuria, and most tumors are found during cystoscopy.  The risks of the procedure are low, and include, infection, trauma to the lower urinary tract, and bleeding.  I would strongly suggest a complete work-up in your case and age group even if the bleeding has stopped.  If you are young and a non-smoker, the incidence of bladder cancer is quite low, but a few simple tests can verify your situation.
I had a  cystoscopy today and it showed I have a red, inflamed are in my bladder.
I have had microscopic blood in my urine for five years now, I constantly feel as though I have a bladder infection but go in and the test is negative. I do have a history of smoking and my parents smoked in the house so I was also exposed to 2nd had smoke. The urologist didn't tell me much he said I need to take vit c every day, drink cranberry, and drink a lot of water and the red area may take a month or 2 to clear up. Is the red area similar to a infection? I'm so confused.  The whole procedure took maybe 4 minutes if that and I was really hoping for some answers but I feel confused.  I already take vit c everyday, I should drink more water I only drink a few cups a day but that's all my body craves. I have to force myself to drink anymore. I don't drink sodas but I do have a cup of coffee a day. Can I take cranberry pill or is the liquid better? Thank you for all of your help!
Hi,  I too have had 4+ blood in my urine for a couple of months now.  I went to the doctor because I felt I might have a bladder infection.  I didn't have any burning but my bladder always feels irritated.  Can you see the blood in your urine?  I don't really see what I would call red blood but urine in a tea colour first thing in the morning.  I have an urologist appoint on Feb 11 but I hate the waiting.  I wish I could get it looked at sooner. Are your symptoms getting any better?