Urologic Cancers Expert Forum
Chances of bladder cancer in 27 year old female.

This forum is for quesitons about: Abdominal Pain, Anemia, Back Pain (lower back), Biopsy, Bone Scan, Bladder Cancer, Blood in Urine, Bone Pain or Tenderness, Colon Cancer, Cystoscopy, Ejaculation Pain, Genetic or Other Markers, Incontinence, IVP, Kidney Cancer, MRI of Abdomen, Penis Cancer, Radiation Therapy, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Renal Scan, Robotic Surgery, Testicular Cancer, Ultrasound, Ureter Cancer, Urinalysis, Urinary Difficulties.

I am a 27 year old female. I have two kids. Last month I noticed I had dark brown pee. I went to the Dr. and he assumed it was a UTI though I had no pain. I took the antibiotics and forgot about it because the blood went away. Last Thursday I went to the GYN because of difficult periods and abdominal pain just below the belly button. she retested my urine and still found large amounts of blood, even though I could not see it. I was shocked. It had been over a month since I first noticed the blood. I was sent for an ultrasound today and the lady seemed very focused on what seemed like a mass of something near my bladder. I have been having some pain in my back near my kidneys but mostly the pain stays below the belly button. I used to smoke socially but never on a regular basis. This went on for maybe 5 years. Is it possible I have some kind of bladder cancer? Im terrified!
Although it is possible for any age person to have bladder cancer, it is far more common in the elderly.  Nonetheless, any person with even microscopic blood in the urine requires three tests:
1.  Urine culture and cytology to look for infection and abnormal cells
2.  CT scan or MRI of the kidney and pelvis to look for kidney lesions and lymph node enlargement
3.  Cystoscopy - A small camera to inspect the inside of the bladder for any abnormalities.  

My ultrasound came back normal. Now Im really confused. I am scheduled to see a Urologist but cant get in til April. In the meantime my GYN wants me to do ANOTHER round of antibiotics. This seems unnecessary as I just completed a round aroud the 7th or January. Should I go to another Dr. or can blood in the urine sometimes not really have a cause?