Urologic Cancers Expert Forum
Cytology results question

This forum is for quesitons about: Abdominal Pain, Anemia, Back Pain (lower back), Biopsy, Bone Scan, Bladder Cancer, Blood in Urine, Bone Pain or Tenderness, Colon Cancer, Cystoscopy, Ejaculation Pain, Genetic or Other Markers, Incontinence, IVP, Kidney Cancer, MRI of Abdomen, Penis Cancer, Radiation Therapy, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Renal Scan, Robotic Surgery, Testicular Cancer, Ultrasound, Ureter Cancer, Urinalysis, Urinary Difficulties.

Cytology results question

During a routine physical exam, it was found that I had trace blood in my urine, and a rbc of 8.  A urine cytology
was ordered, and this is what the results said:

"CYTOLOGIC INTERPRETATION:
URINE (VOIDED) THINPREP

ATYPICAL

Urothelial cells appearing in rare clusters, neutrophils and crystals are
present."

Since the cytology, another urine test shows that the rbc has returned to normal.

Could you please interpret the cytology results?  I have an appointment with a urologist in a couple weeks, but am anxious for more information.

Thank you.     Pam

Hi Pam,

Atypical cells can be due to inflammation or infection like cystitis, so you should not be worried at this moment.

As there was a trace of blood in urine and atypical urothelial cells on cytology, your urologist will probably recommend you for a cystoscopy to rule out Bladder Cancer. A repeat cystoscopy should also be done 3 months after the first one, even if the first one was normal. Additional test that can be done are CT Scan of Kidneys and Intravenous Pyelogram. There are also some urinary biomarkers for Bladder Cancer which you can discuss with your Urologist but they do not substitute cytoscopy.

Here are some questions, I would like to ask you.

Based on your username, I am guessing your age is 60yrs? Is that correct?

Is there any personal history of smoking?

Any Family history of cancers?

Did the Urine Test had leukocyte esterase positive anytime?

Thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Ashutosh (Ash) K. Tewari, MD
www.cornellroboticprostate.org

This forum is for information only. The contents, such as graphics, images, text, quoted information and all other materials ("Content") are provided for reference only, do not claim to be complete or exhaustive or to be applicable to any particular individual's medical condition. Users should always consult with a qualified and licensed physician
or other medical care provider. Users are warned to follow the advice of their physicians without delay regardless of anything read in this forum. The Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute assumes no duty to correct or update the Content nor to resolve or clarify any inconsistent information which may be a part of the Content. Reliance on any Content is solely at the User's risk. This forum may contain health or medically related materials considered sexually explicit. Users are warned that if they may be offended by such Content, an alternate source of information should be found. Publication of information or reference in forum to specific sources such as specific products, procedures, physicians, treatments, or diagnoses are for information only and are not endorsements of the Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute.