Urologic Cancers Expert Forum
Danger of MRI contrast with elevated cratinine level

This forum is for quesitons about: Abdominal Pain, Anemia, Back Pain (lower back), Biopsy, Bone Scan, Bladder Cancer, Blood in Urine, Bone Pain or Tenderness, Colon Cancer, Cystoscopy, Ejaculation Pain, Genetic or Other Markers, Incontinence, IVP, Kidney Cancer, MRI of Abdomen, Penis Cancer, Radiation Therapy, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Renal Scan, Robotic Surgery, Testicular Cancer, Ultrasound, Ureter Cancer, Urinalysis, Urinary Difficulties.

My son is a 26 yr. old with developmental disabilities.  He has a continent stoma from the age of 16. His kidneys have damage to them from years of holding urine.  The continent stoma was performed to ensure that his bladder will be fully emptied, since he doesn't feel the same sensation as we do when the baldder is full. A recent ultrasound revealed a 4cm. cyst on his kidney.  The urologist has referred us to a kidney doctor and also wants a MRI done. His Creatinine level is 1.7 and I am told that the contrast used in the MRI can damage the kidneys.  the test has been scheduled before the appt. with the kidney specialist and I am wondering if I should get his/her opinion first before going ahead with the MRI, since there is a concern of further damage to the kidneys?

Contrast-induced nephropathy is a problem which can be avoided according to recent literature. Although the best solution is not to subject contrast to the patient, in some scenarios the risk of the contrast-induced nephropathy is smaller than the risk of not getting the study. The patient can be premedicated with intravenous fluids or receive a bicarbonate solution protocol intravenously. Both are currently being studied without conclusive results, checking with the nephrologist is a good idea and seeing what recommendations they have.

Thanks!
1 Comment
A related discussion, mri contrast and gall bladder problems was started.