Urologic Cancers Expert Forum
How does testicular cancer feel?

This forum is for quesitons about: Abdominal Pain, Anemia, Back Pain (lower back), Biopsy, Bone Scan, Bladder Cancer, Blood in Urine, Bone Pain or Tenderness, Colon Cancer, Cystoscopy, Ejaculation Pain, Genetic or Other Markers, Incontinence, IVP, Kidney Cancer, MRI of Abdomen, Penis Cancer, Radiation Therapy, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Renal Scan, Robotic Surgery, Testicular Cancer, Ultrasound, Ureter Cancer, Urinalysis, Urinary Difficulties.

How does testicular cancer feel?

I do regular checks of my testicles, but I would like to know how testicular cancer may feel. Which parts of the testicles are the most important to check?
I have read that cancer most likely occurs on the front or the sides of the testicles. What about the bottom/top and the back? Are those parts not as important to check?
I have also read that it is most likely to occur in the right testes. Should I examine the right testes more thoroughly than the left?
I guess a cancerous mass will be hard. Does that mean hard like a solid rock, or just the same hardness as the testicles?
And will a cancerous mass be located "inside" the testicle itself, or growing on the outside? How easy is it to find (or miss)?

Thank you for your time, I hope it will lead to me and others being more aware of what to look for.

Thanks, Dave.
Testicular masses usually are inside the testicle. They can occur anywhere in the testis. The testes are easier to palpate from the front. Tumors can occur in the bottom and top of the testes. The whole testis should be palpated systematically. Both tetstes deserve equal attention. Undescended testes have a higher chance of developing tumor. Cancerous masses are usually hard and maybe irregular.

If you want to know what hard feels like here is a general comparison used in medical schools: hard is like the bony area of the bridge of the nose, firm is the cartilaginous part of the nose below the bony part and soft is the upper lip just below the nose.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Feeling in Testicular Cancer was started.