Urologic Cancers Expert Forum
How soon to get cystectomy?

This forum is for quesitons about: Abdominal Pain, Anemia, Back Pain (lower back), Biopsy, Bone Scan, Bladder Cancer, Blood in Urine, Bone Pain or Tenderness, Colon Cancer, Cystoscopy, Ejaculation Pain, Genetic or Other Markers, Incontinence, IVP, Kidney Cancer, MRI of Abdomen, Penis Cancer, Radiation Therapy, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Renal Scan, Robotic Surgery, Testicular Cancer, Ultrasound, Ureter Cancer, Urinalysis, Urinary Difficulties.

How soon to get cystectomy?

I have been diagnosed with Stage 2 Bladder w/recommendation of cystectomy.  My doctor wants the surgery done asap, I want to wait until after the New Year?  This is a high grade cancer in muscular wall of bladder.  Does postponing this surgery have a significant impact on this cancer and the spread of the disease?  
The standard treatment for muscle invasive bladder cancer is radical cystectomy.  There is good evidence to suggest that a delay in treatment portends a worse outcome.  Your doctor is correct, you should consider  getting surgery sooner than later as your chance for cure will be higher.  Bladder cancer is aggressive and should be treated as such.  
Thanks for your reply -- It was very helpful.  I would additionally like to ask if when cystecomy is performed does the Prostate always need removed?  I understand that the removal of the prostate is what affects sexual funtion?  Is it possible to only remove my bladder and keep my prostate?  Currently my cancer is isolated to the wall of the bladder and has not spread.