Urologic Cancers Expert Forum
Lymphoedema at Kidney

This forum is for quesitons about: Abdominal Pain, Anemia, Back Pain (lower back), Biopsy, Bone Scan, Bladder Cancer, Blood in Urine, Bone Pain or Tenderness, Colon Cancer, Cystoscopy, Ejaculation Pain, Genetic or Other Markers, Incontinence, IVP, Kidney Cancer, MRI of Abdomen, Penis Cancer, Radiation Therapy, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Renal Scan, Robotic Surgery, Testicular Cancer, Ultrasound, Ureter Cancer, Urinalysis, Urinary Difficulties.

Lymphoedema at Kidney

My twin sister has Lymphoedema. She has had a sleeve put on her right arm. Tis is resulting from Breast Cancer which has metastatized in the lymph nodes. Since the sleeve has put on, the lymph has moved down her right side causing abdominal swelling and pain. Most of the pain is in the kidney area. There is no blood in the stool or urin samples. However, there is plenty of discomfort during bm. The doctor didn't like the looks of it, so he decided to do a CT-scan and bone-scan. Can you tell me what happens when the lymp moves to settle in the kidney? Also, if she has cancer in the right kidney, can it be removed. I think I heard that during a kidney transplant, the kidneys are not removed. Will the left kidney be workable? She has not had the Colonoscopy yet. It will be scheduled as soon as we get the other test results back. I will accept any information you can give me on Lymphoedema and how it affects the major organs. Thank you.
Lymphedema is a problem in the extremities (arms and legs) as the lymph channels in these areas are blocked and the fluid cannot be drained properly.  This can happen after axillary involvement (usually with breast cancer) or inguinal involvement (for the legs).  In the abdomen, there are usually many different drainage routes (unlike the extremities) and it should not affect just one area.  The CAT SCAN and bone scan should reveal if there is significant abnormality in the kidney.  Based on the CAT SCAN findings a recommendation can be made as to whether the kidney can function properly or requires surgery.  
Is there danger to the kidney (or abdominal area) if the lymph settles there? Irene is having her Cat Scan today. Also, she received a letter from her doctor asking her to show up early at the Bone Scan because they want to scan every bone in her body. From what I understand, her White Count is extremely high, but have not determined why. She has had Stage 3 Melanoma (saliva gland), and Stage 4 Carcinoma (breast). Doctor says she has a propensity for cancer. What I really want, is a testimonial from anyone that has walked in with Stage 4 Breast Cancer and is still alive to talk about it.
Go to "Breast cancer" forum, search there, you will find a lot useful and helpful information and lots of nice ladies will tell you what they knew or their own experience. Good luck and best regards.