Urologic Cancers Expert Forum
Re: hypodense renal mass with blood in urine

This forum is for quesitons about: Abdominal Pain, Anemia, Back Pain (lower back), Biopsy, Bone Scan, Bladder Cancer, Blood in Urine, Bone Pain or Tenderness, Colon Cancer, Cystoscopy, Ejaculation Pain, Genetic or Other Markers, Incontinence, IVP, Kidney Cancer, MRI of Abdomen, Penis Cancer, Radiation Therapy, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Renal Scan, Robotic Surgery, Testicular Cancer, Ultrasound, Ureter Cancer, Urinalysis, Urinary Difficulties.

Hello again - I asked a question the other day about a hypodense renal mass seen on a CT scan.  My husband's urinalysis was also positive for blood.  The PCP told him that he was "not concerned about the renal mass" and that the blood in his urine was due to the mild diverticulitis/colitis seen on the CT as well.  

I've worked for both urologists and gastroenterologists in the past - I've never heard of blood in the urine being associated with colitis.

Should we just bypass the PCP and move on to a urologist, in your opinion?  
It is reasonable  for you to ask your PCP to refer you to a urologist for evaluation of the renal mass and hematuria.