Urologic Cancers Expert Forum
Scortal tumors-when to go for interventions

This forum is for quesitons about: Abdominal Pain, Anemia, Back Pain (lower back), Biopsy, Bone Scan, Bladder Cancer, Blood in Urine, Bone Pain or Tenderness, Colon Cancer, Cystoscopy, Ejaculation Pain, Genetic or Other Markers, Incontinence, IVP, Kidney Cancer, MRI of Abdomen, Penis Cancer, Radiation Therapy, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Renal Scan, Robotic Surgery, Testicular Cancer, Ultrasound, Ureter Cancer, Urinalysis, Urinary Difficulties.

I visited a general surgeon one month ago for a small testicular mass which has suddenly increased in size and was diagonsed hernia with omentum sagging in the sac and mild hydrocele on U/S some 10 months ago. surgeon on examination in lying down postion could'nt find the mass easily but when navigated examined me in erect position also.

His diagnosis was variocele and he wanted to operate immediately but said I need to go for U/S as a staturay legal obligation for the variocele patients to operated. I got an u/s done at a centre where the sonologist ruled out any VARICOCELE after studying valsalva maneveour , and diagnosed it as HYDROCELE with SEPATE.

I got confused that surgeon was so enthusiastic about operating the varicocele and U/S totally defied posibility of varicocele.

I visited a urologist at AIIMS new delhi, who on examination said wheather varicocele of mild hydrocele , nothing needs to be done. just ignore the symptoms but get and U/S done again.

I got another U/S done at AIIMS , which said it was neither a VARICOCELE nor a HYDROCELE  but a LOCULATED EPIDIDYMAL CYST. measuring 3*4 cm in right testicular and a similar smaller leison existed on left.

Now my query is that urologists relied on U/S for diagnosing varicocele/hydrocele/epididymal cyst. would it be prudent to do no intervention at all relying on U/S. are there any chances of that cysts / tumor /hydrocele creating a havoc in my life  or becoming malignant some day. or possibility of them being already malignant.

THANKS
Tags: Urology
A scrotal mass is usually diagnosed based on the combination of physical examination and ultrasound.  A varicocele is dilated veins from the testis, and is not the same as a hydrocele which is a fluid sac surrounding the testis.  An ultrasound should be able to reliably differentiate between the two diagnosis.  An epididymal cyst is on the epididymis, a gland located behind the testicle and separate from it.  With any of these three diagnosis, nothing necessarily needs to be done unless they are causing problems or symptoms.  Periodic surveillance is prudent to make sure they are not getting worse.  Most malignant tumors in the scrotum are solid masses inside the testicle.