Urologic Cancers Expert Forum
What is this (picture inclosed)

This forum is for quesitons about: Abdominal Pain, Anemia, Back Pain (lower back), Biopsy, Bone Scan, Bladder Cancer, Blood in Urine, Bone Pain or Tenderness, Colon Cancer, Cystoscopy, Ejaculation Pain, Genetic or Other Markers, Incontinence, IVP, Kidney Cancer, MRI of Abdomen, Penis Cancer, Radiation Therapy, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Renal Scan, Robotic Surgery, Testicular Cancer, Ultrasound, Ureter Cancer, Urinalysis, Urinary Difficulties.

What is this (picture inclosed)

A while back I noticed a lump on the tip of my penis beside the urethra, and I was wondering if this was something I should worry about.   I am enclosing a picture to help clarify the situation.  The family doctor seems to think it is nothing, but I know that it is abnormal. What is this?  
Thank you for your question. There was not attachment to your forum post. There are several conditions related to the presence of lumps on the penis. Some of these are not serious and some require intervention.

The most common spots on the penis can be divided into three categories based on their appearance. ulcers and papules (and less often plaques).

Ulcers appear as craters with a puss, film or crust over them. These are usually  serious and require intervention. Causes for penile ulcers include primary syphilis, herpes simplex, and penile cancer (squamous cell carcinoma).

Papules are small (less than 1 cm in diameter) lesions or raised bumps on the genitals. The cause of papules is often not serious, but can be spread through unsafe sex practices. These include molluscum contagiosum, pearly penile papules, hair follicles, sweat glands, psoriasis, and warts.

Consult with your dermatologist is suggested.

Sincerely,

Ashutosh (Ash) Tewari, MD

http://www.cornellroboticprostate.org

This forum is for information only. The contents, such as graphics, images, text, quoted information and all other materials ("Content") are provided for reference only, do not claim to be complete or exhaustive or to be applicable to any particular individual's medical condition. Users should always consult with a qualified and licensed physician or other medical care provider. Users are warned to follow the advice of their physicians without delay regardless of anything read in this forum. The Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute assumes no duty to correct or update the Content nor to resolve or clarify any inconsistent information which may be a part of the Content. Reliance on any Content is solely at the User's risk. This forum may contain health or medically related materials considered sexually explicit. Users are warned that if they may be offended by such Content, an alternate source of information should be found. Publication of information or reference in forum to specific sources such as specific products, procedures, physicians, treatments, or diagnoses are for information only and are not endorsements of the Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute.