Urologic Cancers Expert Forum
calcified blood clot on the kidney

This forum is for quesitons about: Abdominal Pain, Anemia, Back Pain (lower back), Biopsy, Bone Scan, Bladder Cancer, Blood in Urine, Bone Pain or Tenderness, Colon Cancer, Cystoscopy, Ejaculation Pain, Genetic or Other Markers, Incontinence, IVP, Kidney Cancer, MRI of Abdomen, Penis Cancer, Radiation Therapy, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Renal Scan, Robotic Surgery, Testicular Cancer, Ultrasound, Ureter Cancer, Urinalysis, Urinary Difficulties.

calcified blood clot on the kidney

i was recently in the er.due to pain to my lower right side,i had a ct scan done,and it revealed that i had a kidney stone,i followed up with my dr..after waiting 3weeks trying to pass it on my own,and never did,i had a stone search done,i went back to the dr.and was told that it might be a calcified blood clot,so i have to go to the op.room...what does that meen?what is a calcified blood clot?please help me understand.  
A calcified blood clot in the urinary tract means that you had blood in the urine drainage system of the kidney, and some of the blood had calcium deposit collected on it as time went by.  This is essentially how a kidney stone can normally form with calcium deposits collecting over time.  Whether this is a pure kidney stone or calcified clot, the treatment is the same-try to pass it if it is small enough, or remove it with a camera if it does not pass.  Once the stone is removed, it can be evaluated closely to see exactly what the composition is.