Urology Community
loss of potassium

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

loss of potassium

my husband was told he is lossing potassium through his urine .... please tell me what could cause that .... i am worried because this is in turn is  shotting his blood preasure through the roof .....which sent  him to the hospital with his blood preasure close to.... if not ....at stroke level .....the doctor in the er said he was a lucky man that he did not stroke out ..... thank you so much for your time !!!
I forgot to mention before this my husband was on no meds .........and the doctor told my husband it was hyper somethhing but he could not recall the whole name of the condition that was causing him to lose potassium through his urine....AGAIN THANK YOU DOCTOR FOR YOUR TIME !!
i cant belive they never tested him..yes i can belive,.there that way around flu season..

it may be that his GFR is not up to par..this is the filtering of the blood...you need the labs..if the creatine is higher than 1.3 then the GFR will decrease..this may lower the potassium..dehydration  make the potassium higher..

the doc said this was  mabey  hyperkalemia is higer potassium...and low potassium  is  hypoklamia...or the other way..i might be off..you can google this and pull up sites to were you can get good info..read on it,,this may help you see what may or may not be wrong...but usually when you lose potassium threw the kidney's  ur dehydrated...or low potassium to begin with ,,,no meds  hmmmm...yes blood p is the sign of low potassium and low heart rate..mail me  whats going on  now???  did they put him on a potassium supplement like micro k ??? mail me let me know,,,thanks   james