Urology Community
21 year old-Overactive Bladder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

21 year old-Overactive Bladder

Hello Everyone,

I need some advise since I am not sure what to do any more. I am a 21 year old diagonized with an overactive bladder 1 year ago.
For the past 3 years I started having the urgency to always urinate and this was going on night and day. It was not only getting embarrasing to always go to the bathroom but also hurting my sleep since I need to get up about 6 times some nights. Some nights, I have  this lower back pain as thought I need to tie my back with something to make the pain stop.

In these 3 years I have flucuated from 160 to 180 pounds but I do exercise, healthy otherwise.
The first thing I did when i had the constant need to urinate is I went to see a urologist. He told me I had an overactive bladder (which made me more embarrased since every one that was in his office was always 60 and up :(
so I took different dozes, different medicines to try to at least calm it down. no major difference in any of them. At my last visit he recommended that I have a pacemaker inserted which would control when I urinate. I was very scared by the idea of having a pacemaker at such a young age.

I am worried since I do not want to spend my whole life like this. Not only emberrasing but very annoying. I was thinking of going to see a family doctor. I am scarred to go to a doctor about this. Could this be a kidney issue? Anyone diagnosed with overactive bladder at my age? Has anyone actually had a pacemaker inserted?
Tags: 21 years old, overactive bladder, Pain
No need to worry!

I am 17 and have had exactly the same symptoms as you. It could be caused by one of two things. A bladder stricture (an obstruction of scar tissue in the urinary tract causing the bladder to become irritated easily), or justn anxiety.

Anxiety is the most likely cause and is what I found to be the cause of mine. I had a cystoscopy performed, which involves a camera going up you know where. They found no stricture.

Anxiety is a hard thing to deal with. Sometimes you don't even know you are anxious but you really are. This can cause the bladder and other parts of your body to become irritated. In terms of ways of coping, there are many things you can do. The things that work for me are St. John's Wort- a herbal supplement that relieves stress. The other thing is breathing. Take 10-20 minutes a day to consciously breath deeply into your stomach. This will balance the oxygen levels in your body. One note: you may experience muscle tension or seizing. This is normal and will happen less if you breath more often.
I am 21 years old and have also been diagnosed with over active bladder about a year ago. I was suffering so bad, and no medicine helped, so he decided to try hydrodistention (over stretching of the bladder) that didn't work, so I've basically been trying to live with it, but lately it's gotten a lot worse, and my doctor is talking about doing either Botox injections in my bladder or inserting that device. At this point I really wouldn't even mind having a device in me if it worked. And yes, everyone in my doctors office his way older and it makes me feel horrible. Lol
I am also 21 and I have benn diagnosed OAB. I feel awful, it's been almost a year and a half that I've been putting up with this but I feel like I can't do it anymore, everything was perfect 2 years ago, since this started. Plus, my boyfriend left me few months ago, and I know somehow is due to OAB because I never was happy. I had a lot of plans for my future and this is ruining it all, I have just started taking pills but I know they don't work well, and I don't want to live with this for the rest of my life. I've been thinking of getting botox injected, I hope that works well. If not, I'll ask for an operation, but I'll do whatever it takes to stop this nightmare. It's so unfair to have to put up with this so young.