Urology Community
2nd vasectomy - now what?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

2nd vasectomy - now what?

my husbands 1st vasectomy failed one year after his surgery.  We had 2 confirmed neg. sperm counts - 6 months after the procedure.  I became pregnant about a  year later.  His sample was confirmed to have sperm.  I gave birth to our third son.  My husband went back for a 2nd vasectomy.  It has been about 6 months.  How long should we wait to have unprotected sex?  1year?  2 years?  how many sperm checks?  
Love our boys, but do NOT want to have more!
thank you
Tags: vasectomy
Avatar_dr_f_tn

You can resume sexual intercourse as soon as comfortable, usually in about a week after the procedure. However, you can still get pregnant until the sperm count is zero. Another method of birth control must be used until a follow-up sperm count test 2 months after the vasectomy (or after 10 to 20 ejaculations over a shorter period of time). Once the sperm count is zero, no other birth control method is necessary.

Take care and regards.
Thank you for the response but  it has allready been 6 months as I said above.  The sperm count lthe first  time was zero  TWICE!!! and I got pregnant.  is it possible for one persons surgery to fail TWICE?  could his body be different in some way?  

thank you
If he had two negative specimens after the first vasectomy, and then you got pregnant, his vas deferens must have recanalized (0.2% chance of this after vasectomy).

The risk is the same after the second vasectomy, 0.2% or about 1 in 500.

He should have three specimens a month apart. If they are all negative, the second vasectomy was successful and the risk of failure is 0.2%.

I had a vasectomy in 09.  6 weeks after the procedure I submitted my first sample which was cleared, ~3 weeks after that I submitted my second sample which was cleared, and ~3 weeks after that I submitted my third sample which was also cleared, and at that point I was told everything was good and no further protection was needed.  Then a couple months later my wife found out she was pregnant with our 4th child. I was told the vas recanilized and my doctor took a redo at no cost to me(other than the cost of 4 kids).  I'm on my last sample, but I'm not sure that I'll ever have that piece of mind to have unprotected sex again.  I love my kids dearly, but I do not want another one.