Urology Community
3 year old with pain in penis possibly related to erection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

My son is 34 months. He was born with a hypospadius, not bad enough to need surgery. He was diagnosed after having a circumcision. Lately he's been complaining about 15 times a day that his penis hurts. MOST of the time it hurts while he has an erection. I took him to the dr. for an ear infection and mentioned that he had been drinking and peeing alot. She did a UA and found no infection, ketones, or glucose, but found traces of blood in his urine. When he has pain, he tends to pull on his penis. Do you have any ideas about what could be going on? Is this all normal? Is it normal for a 34 month to have an erection? Would he associate the erection with pain?
If he drinks a lot he is going to pee a lot. That is normal. I know that boys of all ages experience erections. When they are young like your son he can be stimulated easily. Sometimes when boys have to pee they get erections, this is all normal.  He could cause some bleeding by pulling. I think that if it was painful enough he wouldn't do it. Something else may be bothering him, possibly from the surgery where the skin does not fel right or the flow of urine is blocked. You may want to take him to a pediatric urologist for a more detailed evaluation.
My son had hypospadius surgery at 18 months.

4yrs old began complaining his penis was bothering him and began pulling. The pulling intensified quickly over approx three months.

Pediatric Urologist said he needed a psychologist. "It was not related to the hypo repair."

One week later he sprung a leak. He had developed a fistula. Which is a pin hole opening which urine was dripping out of. I had noticed a very slow drip previously but did not know what it was or where it was coming from.

2nd pediatric urologist said it was a fistula meatel stenosis, narrow thin high presure urine stream and needed surgery. After the surgery he was cured!!!!!!!!!!! he says it does not bother him any more and no more pulling at all.

Unfortunately the surgery was not successful and he will need another surgery.

I hope this information helps you and your son. I wish you the best of luck.

To see if it's erection related you can put a cold pack on his penis.  This will get rid of the erection and hopefully he can communicate if this makes him feel better.