4-5 month old daughter diagnosed with VUR has sweet maple smell urine. Help!
hello i have a very difficult question to ask this forum, my 4 month old daughter was just recently diagnosed by her urologist with VUR or kidney re-flux disorder. She is a grade 5 in severity. The past two months my fiance and I have noticed when she pees it smells sweet like a maple syrup smell. Is this normal that our 4 month old have urine that smells that sweet? or does she need to see her urologist or pediatrician again? please i am very worried considering she already has a genetic disorder. Thank you
Has this been brought to the attention of her doctors yet?  If not, I would think this could be serious and you should have her seen about it.  There is a disease called "Maple Sugar Urine Disease" - must mean something.
She saw her pediatrician this afternoon and he did two urine tests on her. He said that it could be Maple Syrup Urine Disease, we will not know until her tests come back in a couple of days. He did mention to me that if she does have this disease that it would add to the rough road she has ahead of her already, and he could not guarantee anything to me. He also mentioned that MSUD affects the growth of the babies it infects, making them not grow as they should. My daughter is going to be 5 months old in a couple of days and only weighs 10 lbs 10 oz, 23 1/4 inches tall. When just two weeks ago she was 11 lbs 4 oz and 23 1/4 inches tall. I hate not knowing what is going on with my lil girl and if she does have this will she live or not.
I am so sorry that this has happened to you and your baby girl.  It is very hard to understand how we will be able to keep moving forward as this is a terrible worrisome time for you both.  Not knowing is the worst.  Read and learn everything you can to help your daughter, the more you understand the better you will be able to care for her.  I am sure you will have test results by now and I am so hopeful that they will be negative and she will grow strong.  Although, as parents of three and grandparents to seven my husband and I have gone through many very scary times at hospitals, I cannot imagine how you must be feeling.  Please remember to keep yourself well so that you will be there for her.