Urology Community
4 weeks post Vasectomy W/hematoma what to do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I am 4 weeks post Vasectomy today, I had a hematoma which developed about 5 hours after the procedure. My scrotum swelled to nearly the size of a grapefruit.  Now it has been 4 weeks and I am still just as swollen and the pain is almost unbearable when standing for more than 3 minutes, I am unable to sit upright in a chair, therefore I am either in bed or reclined in my chair, I had bruising clear around my hips and into the lower part of my stomach which is pretty much gone now.  How long is this going to take to clear up?  I am unable to work. I have heard that draining the hematoma is not a good idea due to it may cause further trauma but at this point I dont see any other way.  What should I do?
You must seek treatment. After 4 weeks it is too long and you are risking further complications. The extensive nature of your bruising sounds uncommon.

Worst case is that the testicle atrophies and must be removed. Consider seeing a different doctor than the one who did the procedure.

I don't want to scare you but I have had a bad outcome from a vasectomy as well.

About roughly the same amount of time, I ended up with a hematoma. I went to the local hospital emergency and the locum doctor told me that it was nothing. The following day my scrotum was as large as a grapefruit and my wife insisted that I'd go to the emergency again. This time the locum sent me to the general surgeon who did the vasectomy. After he had a look I was admitted right away and emergency surgery was performed to remove the hematoma. I spent the next week in the hospital.

For the next year there seemed to be a small hole in the left scrotum that never healed. I mentioned this several times. About a year later I was consulting with the regular urologist in regards to a neurogenic bladder. I had him look at my scortum and he mentioned that no surgery was needed.
A week later I ended up in the local hosptial with a scrotum that was larger then a grapefruit by now. They put me on IV antibiotics and after a week the scrotum started to split. I was sent to the urologist as an emergency. At about 2 am on my birthday by than I underwent an emergency left orchiectomy. After I woke up from the aneasthetic, I had lost the left testicle and they had left the scrotum opened packed with saline soake gauze as they were not sure if they got all the dead tissue from the staph infected scrotum. Later on that day the urologist came in and joked "I heard it is your birthday, did you have a ball?"

I spent the next week in the hospital in the ICU isolation. I ended up going home with the scrotum left open to heal from the inside out. For the next 2 months, I had to pack the scrotum with saline soaked gauze about every 4 hours.

I suggest that you seek medial attention right way. The surgery to remove the hematoma caused to left testicle to be fixed in the scrotum for about a year till I ended up with the emergency orhiectomy.
For the duration of a year the fixed testicle caused discomfort with certain movements or sitting down at times.

I hope that you will make out better then I did.

All the best.

Ron
3 weeks into recovery

Hematoma is a large orange.

Will be 3 months to recover.

Nice work dr. Dinngleberry.....

**** me off.