Urology Expert Forum
5 year old boy with pain in left testicle

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Posted by Abby on June 12, 1999 at 23:16:00
My son recently started screaming in pain from his left testicle.  The pain is more in the area directly beside his left testicle.  He screamed in pain for about 10 minutes and then the pain subsided.  I took him to an urgent care facility and the doctor examined his testicles and said that he could feel both of them.  He then pushed on the area where my son has pain and the doctor said   he might have a small hernia.  The doctor asked my son if it hurt when he urinated and my son said no and then he said sometimes.  The doctor took a    urine sample and said that there was some protein and blood in the sample and that my son might have a urinary tract infection and he gave me antibiotics for him to take and tylenol for pain.  What are the difference in symptoms from a urinary tract infection and a hernia?  

Posted by HFHS M.D.-AK on June 14, 1999 at 14:52:14
Dear Abby,
Your son needs to have an evaluation by his family doctor to evaluate for a hernia.  A hernia could be seen as a small bulge in the lower abdomen and is often painless.  A good physical exam with increased abdominal pressure from a cough would give you this answer.
The signs and symptoms of a urinary tract infection, fever, burning with urination, and possibly foul smelling urine.  It is important, to have the urine cultured before treatment.  If your son did have a documented UTI, a formal work-up should be done.  This last statement is the reason your doctor should order the ultrasound and VCUG.  This is a standard work-up for UTI