Urology Community
5 year old with urge to urinate after urinating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

My son is 5 and for about 6 months now he has a feeling like he still has to urinate after he empties his bladder. It started out really bad and he would almost stay in the bathroom all day. I took him to the doctor the next day because I thought he had a UTI but he didn't have any bacteria in his urine. They did say his urine showed a sign that he wasn't getting enough fluids and they thought he was just irritated. they went ahead and gave him antibiotics. He eventually quit complaining about it. But if I ask him if he still feels like he has to go after he's urinated he says yes. He also compains about his stomach hurting alot, the pain is actually just right above his genitals. He doesn't urinate much maybe 3 or 4 times a day and he only has 1 bowel movement a day. He has always been that way. He has a bad habit of holding it in . He used to only pee 1 time a day. He holds it in until he has an accident or dribbles. He has always dribbled. He does stay constipated also. He started having the problem with the urge to urniate feeling right after we got home from our vacation at the beach so I thought he may have got some sand or something in his penis that irritated him. But now I'm not sure what it could be. I'm scared it's something bad and I don't want him to have all kinds of tests. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am sceduling him an appointment with a urologist but until then any answers?
    Thanks for writing in. Frequent urge to urinate can occur due to urinary tract infections, voiding dysfunctions, pollakiuria, diabetes etc.It can also occur secondary to constipation.

Some children just do not take the time to empty their bladder, usually because they are afraid they are going to miss something. These children may empty their bladder just enough to relieve pressure, but not enough to really empty all of the urine. Over time, the sphincter muscle that allows you to hold your urine may become overactive making it even harder to completely empty the bladder. This is voiding dysfunction.If you suspect this is occurring with your child, you can encourage him to try and fully empty his bladder and take his time when he urinates and put him on a voiding schedule so that he urinates every 2-4 hours.

Pollakiuria mostly affects children between the age of 3-8 years, and causes frequent daytime urination, sometimes up to 10-30 times a day, usually with very small amounts of urine being produced at each time. Children with pollakiuria usually do not have other symptoms, and it is not known what causes it, although it may be linked to stress. No treatment is necessary and symptoms usually go away after about 3 months. It is also called Extraordinary Daytime Urinary Frequency Syndrome.

In your child's case i think it is voiding dysfunction. A voiding cystourethrogram may help in making diagnosis. Visit your urologist for further assistance.
All the best.
I have a daughter in 1st grade.  I and then her teacher notice she was rocking back and forth in her chair.  I talked to her about it and she told me it was because she feels like the pee is not all gone after she goes to the bathroom.  I took her to the doctor he tested her urine and nothing was abnormal.  The doctor believe it is a habit we need to break by having her stand up when we see her rocking.  He also recommended we are taking her to a urologist for further testing.  She is also a every night bed wetter.  Her father and her uncle (my brother) were also late bed wetters.  She is a very deep sleeper, I could vacumm in her room and she would stay sound asleep.  Any thoughts on what could be happening?  I looked up rocking back and forth online...but most found articles on autism.  Any help would be greatly appreciation.

Thank you!