Urology Expert Forum
6 months of pain in penis, groin, lower back - doctor's don't...

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

6 months of pain in penis, groin, lower back - doctor's don't know what is wrong. Please help!

Sometime last year my husband began experiencing pain in the penis, groin, and lower back areas.  He went to a urologist who diagnosed that he had prostitis.  However, his urine analysis was CLEAN.  He gave him antibiotics anyways and after about 2 months of taking them, and a couple of doctors visits later, he seemed to feel better.  This past June or July 2008, he began experiencing the same pain.  He went back to the doctor who again said it might be prostitis, and gave him antibiotics again.  He took another urine analysis and it was CLEAN.  This time however, the pain did not subside even after antibiotics. He went to the doctor several times in a few months, and they thought maybe it was a kidney stone instead.  A cat scan was taken and everything was normal.  The second urine analysis, and cat scan were normal.  The doctor could not figure out what was wrong, so my husband went for a second opinion a few months later.  This entire time, the pain my husband is experiencing has not subsided. It is still very painful on his penis (closer to the top), groin area, lower back... The new doctor took a urine analysis which again was clean.  He also looked at the cat scan the original doctor took or the upper kidneys and agreed it was normal.  The new doctor took another cat scan just a week ago of the lower kidneys and again the results have come back as normal.  There are no signs of kidney stones.  Also, to rule out prostitis once and for all the new doctor also took a blood test which is also normal.  Prostitis has been ruled out 100% as per the doctor.  The only thing they said was the testosterone levels in my husband's blood was low but that was it.  Just to make sure that is the case, a second blood test was taken last week and we are waiting for the results. My husband is experiencing non-stop pain in his penis, groin area, and pain in his lower back to the left of his body.  Last night on a scale of 1 to 10 it was an 8. What do you think is wrong?
I  think that a neurological evaluation is a sensible approach as the urological one has been unrevealing. Failing that, a thorough evaluation by an internist is in order. Certainly a low testosterone level would not result in these symptoms.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.

by the way, my husband is 40 and has never had any problems such as these except since last year...
I went to my urologist and he did urine test, ultrasound, and xray and did not find any problems.  I was treated with antibiotics for 2 weeks this month and last month, but the symptoms still won't go away.  The symptoms are burning pain on both left and right flanks, also I sometimes get a burning sensation when I pass urine.  The sensation is felt mostly at the base of my penis.  Can you please help me.
I have had similar experience as your husband.. please take him URGENTLY to a neuro-surgeon as he may be experiences symptoms of a herniated disc in his spine at the Lower back level (L5-S1). When the disc in this region herniates, it compresses the nerves called S1 to S5 some of these nerves are responsible for the penis and goin areas (specifically s2 and s3), as the disc compresses those nerves it causes severe pain in the penis and groin area.Your husband may need surgery called "discectomey" to remove part of the disc that is compressing the nerves. The neurosurgeon will order an MRI of Lumber spine and it will show if there is a disc herniation or not..But please hurry up because if it is herniation it may get worse (pain shooting down the legs ..etc.) very quickly..
A related discussion, burning in groin area/back pain/nausia/headache was started.