Urology Community
6 week old penis, circumcised

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

6 week old penis, circumcised

I have a son who was born 6 weeks prematurely.  Today is his actual due date, so he is 6 weeks old today. He is circumsized. Today, I noticed swelling below the tip (I think that's the glans (glands)) of the penis.  And the tip is rather gray.  I have looked for pictures of an infected and a healthy baby penis and cannot find them.  Can you tell me the signs of infection, what would cause infection this far down the road, and the daily care (with diaper changes) for a baby who has been circumcised?  Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Your physician has prescribed you with topical antimicrobial for the area?

Infections may present with redness, warmth, and pain in the area. If the infection has progressed there may be a discharge and delay in resolution or healing of the surgical site. Change his diapers often . Wash the area with a mild cleanser like Cetaphil and pat dry. Do not allow wet diapers to dry on the body. Change this as often as it is noted to be wet. Before applying any thing on the area, discuss this with your physician. With regards to washing the area, ask your physician about this first.

This grayish color may be normal or it may be a hematoma. Just continue to observe the area. Has your child been irritable lately? Does he cry or wince when you touch the area?Any fever?
Thank you, Vanessa.  We haven't seen the physician yet.  I just noticed this yesterday, and our appointment is tomorrow.  He doesn't seem to be in any pain.  I am putting a jelly on it so his diapers do not stick.  I change diapers usually every 2-4 hours, or when I notice the need.  I don't know that it is infected, I had just noticed yesterday some swelling under the newly-exposed tip (well, the circumcision was about 4 weeks ago). Basically looks like when someone has taken a hit and has a fat lip. But he doesn't seem bothered by it.  The exposed tip is noticibly gray, while the rest of the penis (shaft area) is normal color.  What is a hematoma and what would we do for treatment?  Can I use a diaper wipe on his penis, or do I need to use mild soap/Cetaphil and water?  And how often do I need to adress the washing of the area...each diaper change? I researched "infections" last night and was horrified at some of the results. However, I could find no pictures to compare what he looks like to, so I'm just not sure what to think of the swelling and the gray color.  Help!
Our son is 6 weeks, circumsized at birth and has the same symptoms. He urinates ok and his diapers are changed very often. He does not seem to have any discomfort at all. We plan to ask the doctor about it at his next visit but I'm curious what the outcome was for your son and if any treatment was necessary or if it is normal and takes care of itself.
My son was circumcised 2 wks ago, he's 11 months old. The area below his penis, the ring of skin has started to get big and red and it still bleeds a bit. Is this normal? Should I take him back to the dr?