Urology Community
8mm Kidney Stone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

8mm Kidney Stone

Hello.

I have a history of kidney stones and passed about 3 stones roughly 8 years ago.  For the past 4 years I have known of the presence (confirmed by IVP) of a stone in my right kidney.  There have been few symptoms, just an occasional jolt of pain (maybe once per month).  Most recent CT scan showed it is now 8mm.  I believe it was originally around 3 mm when first diagnosed.

My physician is sending me to see a specialist due to the current size of the stone.  I have an appointment for January 3.  However, in the past 2-3 days I have had more discomfort in my right flank area.  This is not the colic pain that I associate with the passing of my previous stones, but instead a more persistent ache.  I notice it more when I am more hydrated.

My previous stones were small enough that I could pass them with IV-medicated assistance in the emergency room.  However, I'm concerned that a trip to the ER with this stone will be much more complicated.  Is there anything I should know and/or be able to tell the physicians there should I end up in the ER before my visit to the specialist?

thank you.
i have had the same problem i had a 10 mm stone and it hurts because the liquid cannot pass buy the stone and it backs up and causes you pain they had to put in a stent to bypass the stone intill they could take it out or bust it up with a lazer the more you drink the more liquid you have to back up behind the stone and more pain you will have i whoud say just drink enuf to not be dehydrated in till you can see your doctor
I currently have an 8mm kidney stone which was found due to a severe kidney infection. I had a 105 fever and was very ill. I currently have no insurance and cannot afford to get the treatment neef to break up the stone.is there anything I can do at home to get the stone to pass?
Thanks for writing to the forum!

Ideally you should not ignore kidney infections for they can be fatal. Hence ensure that infection is under control.
Drink plenty of fluids, try apple cider and cranberry juice. These tips may help to flush out small stones.
Depending on the stone you have, you will need to avoid certain food items. For oxalate stones you need to restrict (not totally stop) foods which are high in oxalate like beans, legumes, dark green leaves, egg plant, spinach, beets, chocolates and fruit cake. Avoid Vitamin C as its metabolism produces oxalates in the body.
For calcium stones you need to restrict packaged food items rich in sugars and dairy products. For uric acid stones you need to restrict protein intake.
Hope these tips help. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

I had a 8mm stone and ended up in the e.r. 3days later they let me out. Went back in week later for lithroscopy. The doctor came in when I woke up and said he broke it all into fine sand"exactwords". Didn't work ended back in the hospital for a second lithro. Went home they tok stynt out one month later. I urinated several bb size stonesam went back for another ctscan and he said there was still a 4mm stone still in there. The pain is gone. My insurance denied almost all bills. I have over thirty thousand dollars in doctor bills that I have to pay. No deals they just want their money. What can I do.