Urology Expert Forum
9mm lesion in kidney
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

9mm lesion in kidney

A left kidney lesion was incidently discovered via CT scan during my visit to the emergency room. I had a CT of abdomen and pelvis with contrast. Delayed images were obtained through the pelvis. 1mm, 3mm, and 5mm reconstructions were performed. Arterial and Venous phases were used in this scan. Findings showed quote: a 9mm low-density lesion is seen in the mid pole of the left kidney, which is too small to characterize. Both kidneys are, otherwise within normal limits without evidence for hydrophrosis. The kidneys demonstrate symmetric nephrograms. There is semmetric excretion of contrast bilaterally. No evidence for renal artery stenosis or dissection, unquote. I followed up with my primary doctor who ordered renal ultrasound, bloodwork, and urinalysis. All bloodwork and urine was completely normal. My ultrasound was unremarkable too. It showed no evidence of lesion or cyst or anything. My doctor recommended follow up with another ultrasound in 6 months and continued monitoring of symptoms and bloodwork/urine. So I am left with this unidentified "lesion" in my kidney. Of course my intense concern is renal cancer. I've read ultrasounds may not pick up small lesions, so watching and waiting for 6 months to a year seems dangerous especially if it is cancer, in terms of possible metastasis. Should my ultrasound have picked up this 9mm "lesion" if the CT scan did? Can a CT scan of kidney be incorrect in situations like this? My age is 31.Thanks.