AZO for Interstitial Cystitis
The OTC AZO urinary relief tablets say they should not be taken long-term. Is this just because they're afraid people will mask UTI symptoms and not get treated for them or are there dangers associated with long-term usage? It is one of the only things that calms my severe interstitial cystitis pain. Can I take it regularly without fear? What are the risks?

Long-term use of phenazopyridine (AZO) has been reported to cause tumors in the gastrointestinal tract and in the liver of rats and mice, respectively. Long-term studies in humans have not been conclusively reported upon regarding the effects of phenazopyridine.

Other side effects of this drug include headaches, alteration in vision, and can result in a discoloration of the skin as well as staining of clothing.

It is recommended that in the event you develop a yellowish tinge to your skin, you stop the drug immediately.

Do keep us posted on any additional doubts in this regard.