Urology Community
AZO for Interstitial Cystitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

AZO for Interstitial Cystitis

The OTC AZO urinary relief tablets say they should not be taken long-term. Is this just because they're afraid people will mask UTI symptoms and not get treated for them or are there dangers associated with long-term usage? It is one of the only things that calms my severe interstitial cystitis pain. Can I take it regularly without fear? What are the risks?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Long-term use of phenazopyridine (AZO) has been reported to cause tumors in the gastrointestinal tract and in the liver of rats and mice, respectively. Long-term studies in humans have not been conclusively reported upon regarding the effects of phenazopyridine.

Other side effects of this drug include headaches, alteration in vision, and can result in a discoloration of the skin as well as staining of clothing.

It is recommended that in the event you develop a yellowish tinge to your skin, you stop the drug immediately.

Do keep us posted on any additional doubts in this regard.