Abnormal Cytology Report
I gave a urine sample during my yearly exam and was told that I had blood in my urine. My PCP sent the urine for further testing and the following results were noted on the Cytology report:

Diagnosis:
A few clusters of reactive urothelial cells and squamous cells present.
Comment:
Clusters of urothelial cells are rately seen in voided urine specimen and can be associated with inflammation, infection, calculi, instrumentation and low-grade urothelial neoplasm.

My urine culture was normal.
My question is, could this abnormal result be from kidney stones?  I have had them in the past. I will be scheduling an appointment with a Urologist but would like to prepare for the appointment. Thank you in advance.
    Thanks for writing in. Microscopic examination of urine reveals the presence of cells in it and serves as a method for making a diagnosis.

Presence of urothelial cells more than 10/lpf is considered abnormal. This could happen due to sloughing of the tubular epithelium in conditions like kidney stones, nephrotic syndrome, trauma and instrumentation in the urinary tract.

Presence of squamous cells suggests contamination of urine sample. Get an ultrasound done to check the presence of any stones and consult a urologist.

All the best.
I had a KUB x-ray done, no kidney stones.  Which I am confused because I had a kidney stone in my left kidney that I know I didn't pass, So what happened to it?

I am still waiting on the second cytology report my urologist ordered.  Not sure why it is taking so long, it has been over a week.

Any thoughts -