Alternative for Ureteral Stent?
I am to have extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy ESWL on Tuesday. I have to have the ureteral stent put in. After reading about it on the web, I am scared that I will be so uncomfortable and in pain for the entire week it's supposed to be in. Isn't there another alternative to this? If I didn't have one put in, won't the stones just pass normally?

'Lithotripsy is generally safe. However, as with any medical procedure, complications can occur. Those related to lithotripsy include: Blockage of urine flow from the kidney due to pieces of stone. If this causes severe pain or blockage of the kidney, a tube may be placed through your back and into the kidney to keep the kidney drained until all the fragments pass out. Sometimes, a thin mesh tube called a stent is placed into the body (from the kidney to the bladder) before ESWL to prevent this from happening. A stent is usually put in the body after laser lithotripsy.'

You could read more about the procedure and the post operative management at the following link -

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007113.htm

Follow up with your doctor and clear out any doubts that you have and let us know if you need any other information.

Post us about how you are doing.

Regards.
I had my first kidney stone operation/procedure in March 2009.  My stone was moving from my kidney to my ureter and back and forth.  Well my urologist  scheduled a lithotripsy, but when he performed the procedure he couldnt find the stone, so he stopped it but left the stent it to make it easier for the stone to move.  Long story short, having the stent in wasn't painful until I peed.  The rush of pain right before the urine flows out is a 9 on a 10 scale and every time you pee it happens.  I tried deep breathing right before i let my pee go which helped, basically hyperventilating to forget about the pain.  That helped.  The stent removal was a scary though going in through the penis to remove, but really was not painful at all.  Just uncomfortable.
if d body is not accepting d stent in ureteral part is there any other alternative n what is d reason for d problem.