Urology Community
AndroGel gone wrong!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

AndroGel gone wrong!

Let me begin with the admission that I am a sex addict. This simply means that as I grew up, I found sex to be the "drug of choice" or the place I went to escape depression, sadness etc. So I've been in recovery for over 6 years and have done pretty well with that. Recovery literally saved my marriage.

Today I am 55 years old, my wife is ten years younger, and we have two small kids. Because of re-establishing trust issues with my wife, my achieving 3 years of solid abstention from sexual acting out, and having kids, our sex life was nowhere. I had trouble reaching erections, and had symptoms of Peyronie's disease, and I chalked it all up to the adage "use it or lose it." But I decided to go to the Urologist to check out the equipment status.

I went to the urologist who through blood tests said my T level was 227. So he gave me a script for 5mg gel. I figured, "great, this may revitalize my marriage." I was also having other symptoms- low sex drive and depression. I take Zoloft for the depression but it still dogs me a bit. So I was pretty excited about something that sounded like it could solve some problems. He prescribed AndroGel, a topical gel that is rubbed into the chest and upper arms, 5 mg per day. I did tell him about my past sexual behavior problems.

Two weeks into it, I start getting really horny. My wife was on her period, so I was waiting for that to be over, meanwhile I was  feeling generally more aggressive (driving the car faster, bad attitude, hostility) and I start masturbating every couple of hours. I was going to her daily saying, "are you off your period yet? I'm really horny and ready to go!" This all occurred starting on one day, and got worse over the span of 7-10 days, when I stopped using the AndroGel.

This was all very out of character for me. My wife is very sensitive to these issues, and as these events unfolded, she interpreted it all as an addictive relapse, kicked me out of the house and said she can't afford to love me any more. So now we are separated. So the thing that was going to save my marriage may have ruined it! I'm not saying I went insane and am not responsible for my actions, but the combination of increased libido with no where to go with it, and an aggressive, hostile, dont-give-a-s*it attitude really made it easy to go there.

Oh yeah- and it made my nipples bigger!!!

Have any users experienced anything similar, or any professionals have any helpful comments?

Airclowns
My guy went on the same product and his behavior went from totally sweet and loving to just what you described, aggressive, hostile, dont-give-a-s*it attitude .  He started looking up erotic massage parlors and I know he went to one.  He is also now emailing and flirting like a teenager with a married woman he met at a group he belongs to.  Prior to this things could not have been better, other than the problems caused by low testosterone.  Mood wise he was a sweet man and now he is totally nasty and cold.  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Gynecomastia(enlargement of male breasts) and priapism(frequent or prolonged erections) are common side effects of the androgel(testosterone gel).Pls stop using this drug and consult a urologist for the erection problems that you are having. It can be due to psychological or medical causes which need to be ruled out one by one.

I hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.
I've never tried Androgel, but hormonal treatments usually have disastrous effects. I'm not an expert, but I suggest you stop using that ****.

Did you tell your doctor you are taking antidepressants? Most antidepressants can cause ED.
Who doesn't want prolonged and frequent erections? some of us would kill for that.. unfortunately that was not one of my side effects, however Gynecomastia was! It's freakish to have your male breast starting to go female on you because of this drug.
God is cruel, some guys got the prolonged and frequent erections, which I can't even get using Cialis 20 mg, and I got the female breast Gynecomastia issue.. life ***** and is not fair.
I've been on androgel 10mg/day for 2mo, yet never seen it causing gynocomastia. yes I do have manboobs. check your E2 levels (estrogen levels). I can force an erection but one without help is pretty much nonexistant. I think the androgel makes me want to masturbate every two hours i only hope that my erections start to happen soon. good luck....
OMG, your story and mine are so similar, except I still have my wife as the androgel has made me so aggressive that she is scared sh*^tless of me now..
Androgel has put my sex drive into turbo-crazy-hyperdrive.. but when I recall what is was like to hardly ever get an erection and barely produce any semen at the end of the act.. it's a hard trade off.... (no pun on hard)..
With androgel I easily went from 2 times a week being able to perform my manly duties to 3x a day.. and now I ejaculate bucket loads compared to before which confuses me because I read everywhere how androgel shuts down your testicles because the gel supplies the testosterone your testicles don't think they are needed and shut down.. not true with me,.. they MUST be working judging by the 400% increase in semen I am putting out 3x a day.
Sure, I am a total A@@ to my wife now and extremely aggressive and have claimed my thrown in my castle... but on the flipside she gets the high hard one 3x a day now.. which is possible since I telecommute and work from home...
your story is not uncommon, androgel makes you think of nothing but getting laid and makes your personality go from nice guy to a-hole in 2 minutes.. but there is an upside.. maybe..
I use injections and recently was changed from once a month to every 2 weeks. Even with the Delatestryl, it did not help me erection wise. Still have to use California tri-mix injections to obtain an erection.

In 2003 a urologist put me on testosterone injections to treat ED and supplyment testosterone after I had lost my left testicle due to complications from a vasectomy. I was warned about the possible effect of getting more agressive. To the surprise of my wife and I, our relationship has become even better. Due to further urological problems, I have not been able to engage into sexual intercourse with my wife since March 2008. Now injecting the testosterone every two weeks, I feel better than when I was injecting myself every month.
I believe that men over all are more agressive in nature even when there are no problems with the testosterone levels. Some men don't let that part control their lifes. We as men do have control over agression, it is our choice as to how we respond to this.
As a believer in God and Jesus Christ, I know that I'm responsible for my actions, including agression. Sadly I know a large group of so called Christian males who treat their spuse as slaves or worse. There is no excuse for that.
While I was still able to work, I at times took my frustration and anger from work home with me. At times I was short tempered towards my children, and I must admit that at times I did not treat my wife in the way that she disserved to be treated. I chose to deal with my mild agression problems at work. Now that I have been disabled since 2003, my relationship with my wife and children has grown stronger than ever.

Men experience stress form work and due to others at work they are unable to react with their emotions and agression as they would like to to avoid getting fired. Due to this they take the agression home with them. When I lived near a city, I at times used to go swimming prior to going home. It helped me deal with stress and avoided me taking the day's frustration home with me. I have also gone out fishing before going home during the summer. I allways told my wife where I was at. Believe me that your spouse prefers you to have an activity to relieve stress before going home. Of course taking in mind that the activity is not sexual or negative in any way or form.
Now that I have been disabled for the last 8 years, I would say that my relationship with my wife and children has become even so much better. Being at home also gives my wife the opportunity of getting out of the house for some activities without having to take care of the kids. Men you should have control over your agression, if not, seek professional help.
Androgel improved every facet of my life. I used to take Zoloft, feel sleepy, no sex drive, low energy. Then I did two things. I got a Rx for Androgel and I switched from Zoloft to Welbutrin XL 300mg. Actually the switch from Zoloft to Welbutrin was incredible. No sleepiness. Welbutrin makes you horny, where Zoloft kills your sex drive. Add Angrogel, and I feel like I am 20 years younger. I also have a wife 11 years younger than me. I have had no adverse side effects whatsoever from Androgel. Try it. It works wonders.
I explained to my Doctor that I had very low energy, low self esteem and low sexual drive with bouts of depression! She decided to test my blood for Testosterone levels! She found my levels very low at levels of 32 and 28 with average at my age of 49 at levels of 260-880! She started me on a medication called Androgel at 2.5 grams per day! This made my levels drop further and and currently has me on 10-15 grams per day which has brought me up to 800 range! My energy levels, self esteem and well being is almost euphoric and I feel like and 18 year old again! Before any of these treatments I always had strong erections and strong ejaculations, however after using this medication I can not get and erection and my sex drive is completely non existent? It's almost like I have very little sensitivity in that area? I assumed my Doctor would have all the other hormone levels and this was not correct, I guess she just prescribed this medication thinking that's all I would need! I am very concerned about being able to perform sexually being married for 25 years my wife and I are very sexually active! I have read things about other medications that are sometimes needed with Testosterone, especially with this variety due to Amorizeation to Estrodiol and other undesirable for men Estorogen effects! I have read about levels of LH and SGBH. However I know very little about any of this stuff and would like and opinion on what course of action I should take? HCG or A.I. Or both or something else I don't know about? I have always been active and lifted weighs when I was younger. When I was in my early 30s I reached a plateu with muscle building and decided to try testosterone from a friend who was using it! I did this only once, because I felt guilty and always prided myself on being natural as well as trying to do this for strength and health reasons and not for vanity! I used a cycle of a product called Sustenon 250 at 500mg a week or 250mg every 3 1/2 days! I did this for 6 weeks and gained and tremendous amount of lean muscle as well as doubling or sometimes trippling my strength! I felt like I was superhuman . This product also shot my libido through the roof and sexual desire and performance was animalistic or Ape Like! I have no idea what this current medication of Androgel is doing, although I am at desired measured and monitored levels and my energy is great, I am concern something else amiss with lack of sexual drive, erectile and ejaculatory function? Thank you
Zoloft and all SSRIs are well known to cause erection and orgasm problems.
  A guy at my work says when he puts that gel on him, it makes his wife horny, he says he's having the best sex in years. Has anyone else experienced this?