Urology Expert Forum
Are there benign bladder tumors?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Are there benign bladder tumors?

I have just been diagnosed, through cystoscopy, with a bladder tumor.  I will be having an IVP in a few days and surgery next week to remove the tumor.  Of course, I have been very worried about this and have been searching the Internet for information on bladder tumors.  Everything I find points to these tumors as all being malignant.  Please tell me if there is such thing as a benign tumor in the bladder.  Thank you for relieving my mind.

_
Dear Dianne,
A tumor is a new growth.  It is not necessarily a malignant cancer.  It is difficult to give a percentage for the chance that your "tumor" is or is not a cancer without having seen its cystoscopic appearance.  Fortunately, about 90% of bladder cancers are superficial and do not often spread throughout the body if treated.  However, the remaining invasive bladder cancers can be very aggressive.
Your care, to date, seems very appropriate.  After a tumor or abnormality is identified cystoscopically in the office, a transurethral resection of the bladder tumor is performed in the operating room with a special resectoscope.  If the tumor is in fact a cancer on the pathology report, then the stage (how extensive) and grade (how aggresive (aggressive)) of the bladder cancer become important.  Based on the stage and grade, watching for recurrence, instilling medicines in the bladder, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, or surgery to remove the bladder will be considered.
This information is provided for general medical information purposes only. Please consult  your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. More individualized care is available through our department at the Henry Ford Hospital  and its suburban locations (I-800-653-6568).
Sincerely;
HFHS M.D.-CK
  * Keyword: bladder cancer