Urology Expert Forum
Ascending Testicles

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Ascending Testicles

I read in another post that it is normal for the testicles to rise high in the scrotum, close to the body, just prior to and during ejaculation.  What happens to me sometimes is that one testicle, usually my right one, goes so high that it is actually out of the scrotum and can be felt in my lower pelvic area.  I can feel the testicle under the skin and "nudge" it back down into the scrotum.  Is this normal, or should the testicle not go up that high?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Anthony,
Movement of the testicles up and down in the scrotum is related to a reflex called the cremasteric reflex.  The formation and maturation of sperm in the testicles requires an environment slightly cooler than the core body temperature.  Therefore, different stimuli may cause the cremasteric muscles to contract and pull one or both testicles high in the scrotum and sometimes almost into the inguinal canal (pretty high up).  Since the testicles originally descend through the inguinal canal shortly before birth on migration from the abdomen to the scrotum, there may be some residual laxity of the muscles that may allow the testicle to ascend relatively high in the scrotum with a cremasteric reflex.  However, this should not be a source of concern since your testicles are
A related discussion, ascending testicles was started.