Atypical cells in urine
It has been a week since my urologist had ordered a cytology with FISH(?).  When he called me originally he caught me off guard so I couldn't think of any questions because I was still in a state of shock not knowing what my doctor was getting at.  As part of a routine follow-up to prostatits (which is now relatively pain free) my MD ordered a cytology.  About a week later I got another call and was told to repeat cytology.  Then a week after that MD called me presonally and stated I had a "few" atypical cells in my urine.  The MD then ordered the cytology w/ FISH with the results still pending.  I have had previous cytology tests with negative results in the past.  I have also had cystoscopies twice in the past (most recent 6 months ago) with nothing found.

Do I really need to be overly concerned with bladder cancer (or other cancer) or another ailment at this point?  Are there benign reasons I could have atypical cells in my urine?

Any help would be appreciated to put my mind at ease.
Please go to my question "Atypical urine cytology, but negative cystoscopy?"  You should see it above in the discussion thread.  There, you will find an answer I received from Dr. Bandari.  I, too, was concerned about the atypical cells found in my urine from a routine urine test.  

Dr. Bandari explains that there are other conditions, such as inflamation or infection that can cause atypia to be seen in urine, and that atypia does not necessarily correlate to pre-malignant or malignant conditions.

It's been some time since you posted this question.  How have you made out since then with your situation?

Hope this helps.
Mark