Urology Expert Forum
Autoimmune issues of Vasectomy?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Autoimmune issues of Vasectomy?

I am 41 years old and I had a vasectomy about 3 years ago.  I had issues with pain for about a year, but that went away.  I had been very active both weight training and running several times per week.  About 8 months ago I began to have problems with pains in my stomach and intestines, constant gas, etc.  As I have been seeing several specialists in an attempt to diagnose this issue, I noticed some other issues over time.  Severe stiffness of all joints especially in the morning and then having issues with a dull ache in my testicles, incontinence, bladder pain and finally pain in many joints including the inside and outside of the hip, shoulders, elbos and hands.  I have also had an extreme decrease in sexual function. I have had at least 100 different blood tests including everything you might think is the cause of these issues, an endoscopy, colonoscopy, cystoscopy(bladder), an upper GI with contrast and many more tests by now untold numbers of specialists with no smoking gun or even a diagnosis.  At this point most of the doctors have sent me on my way stating there is nothing they can do for me. In the past few weeks now I have had extreme pain in the hips and other areas.  This is not in the actual joint but more seems to be ligaments or tendons.  My vision has also gotten worse and I am becoming very forgetful.  I have also begun to shake, my heart pound and I have pain in my eyes and vision problems (vibrating, pulsating).  My last blood tests and a Thyroid Uptake test showed that I am now hyperthyroid. The Endocrinologist states that this is not a reason for my other issues and has given me methimazole to help the hyperthyroidism.  At this point, I am at my wits end.  It is becoming impossible to walk, drive, work or even play with my children.  My primary care doctor is heading towards a diagnosis that cannot be proven such as fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome, as he has mentioned each.  I have read some articles about autoimmune responses to vasectomies and believe this is something I should begin to research.  I know there is some research being performed and I am sure there are some doctors that have there own concerns about these autoimmune possibilities.  Can you direct me towards any resources including research, drug trials or doctors related to the study of autoimmune diseases and particularly possible autoimmune effects of vasectomies?  Any information you have to offer would be greatly appreciated.  Whether that is any research information, doctors or hospitals doing research or even a doctor who believes autoimmune diseases exist and attempts to at least treat some of the symptoms.  I am in the Boca Raton, FL area but at this point would go anywhere to work with some smart people that are going in the right direction.  Although a cure would be wonderful, I can
Here are some articles dealing with the autoimmune effects of a vasectomy from MedLine.  Much of the research isn't recent.

Incidentally, I would suggest a rheumatology referral (or second opinion) if you haven't had one already.  In addition to thyroid tests, I would suggest an ESR, ANA level, rheumatoid factor, and Lyme titers.

Lucas PL, Rose NR. Immunological consequences of vasectomy: a review. Ann Immunol. 1978;129C(2-3):301-22.

[No authors listed] Vasectomy: the nonreproductive effects.
Sex Med Today. 1983;7(6):21-3.

Henry JB, Derrick Fc J. Immunological effects of vasectomy.
J Am Med Assoc. 1973 August 6;225(6):642.

To look for rheumatologists in your area, I would suggest starting here:
http://www.abim.org/dp/apps/physdir1.htm

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
0
A related discussion, Vasectomy Fibromyalgia !! was started.
A related discussion, Vasectomy and autoimmune problems was started.
A related discussion, Vasectomy - Spermatocele Complications was started.