BPH, Prostatitus and PSA
I am 52 y/o and very concerned with my PSA level.  In the past year my PSA has risen from 4 to 6.5 to 9.6 and now 14.4 (lots of white blood cells in urinalysis). During that time I have had a standard rectum biopsy, MRI (lymph nodes and bones clear), transperennial needle biopsy and all were negative.  I have a history of prostatitus and BPH.  My Urologist has me taking a antibiotic for 7 days and retesting PSA and urine in one week to see if the PSA levels decrease.  She suspects a bout of prostatitus.  I have been taking 2ea 0.4 mg capsules each day for about 6 months.
I'm beside myself over this.  With all of the testing in the last year what is the liklihood I have cancer and it hasn't been found.  Can PSA level increases like this be a result of my prostatitus and BPH?

Yes. An increase in PSA levels does not necessarily mean an underlying prostate CA. An enlarged prostate would also lead to elevation in prostate level.

"An enlarged prostate often produces more PSA, creating higher blood levels of the protein. This may also occur when infection damages the prostate lining and allows more than normal amounts of PSA to be released. A urinary tract disorder can also raise PSA levels."

Source:http://www.fca.com/articles/UP164.html

An elevated PSA suggests that you be further worked up which I believe has been done in your case. Let us wait for the PSA results post medical therapy.