Urology Community
Back Pain years after nephrectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Back Pain years after nephrectomy

I had a radical nephrectomy in 2005 for a benign tumor. (dr said it was precancerous)   I recovered well and got consecutive clean scans for 4 years, so now do not have to have any more.  I recently have developed back pain on that side near the bottom of my ribcage. It hurts on and off and at first I thought it was muscular, but it seems to be more localized to one specific area.  Could this be scar tissue?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
For such kind of back pain after nephrectomy, the possibilities of scar and adhesion formation and any neurological/ spinal issues causing neurological pain need to be ruled out. You need to get a CT and MRI scan of the spine and the kidney area to confirm the diagnosis.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.