Urology Community
Back pain and urination problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Back pain and urination problems

I'm a 26-year-old male and for the past month I have had a progressively worse pain in the lower right side of my back. It's a dull ache but sometimes it becomes more of a stabbing pain that makes it difficult to stand or even move without it becoming unbearable.

In the last week I've also had problems with urinating. I feel like I need to urinate more and more often, but when I go nothing comes out. I try to force it, but that causes the pain in my lower back to get worse. Also, when I do manage to go without any trouble, the urine is quite foamy.

Aside from this, I'm fit and healthy and go to the gym and play sports several times a week without any problems. I Googled the symptoms and they fitted dehydration, but I have been consciously drinking more and it hasn't helped.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

S
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Low back pain associated with urinary symptoms may suggest an underlying urinary tract condition. Differentials may be kidney stones, urinary tract infections, and musculoskeletal pain. I suggest that a urinalysis, urine culture and a baseline kidney, ureter and bladder CT scan may be done to help rule out the above differentials. Low back pain in the absence of urinary tract problems may need to be further evaluated. A spine CT scan may be able to determine if a musculoskeletal cause is contributing to the condition.