Urology Expert Forum
Bacteria in prostate. Corynebacteria

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Bacteria in prostate. Corynebacteria

Dear Doctor,

My symptoms are frequent urination during day only, not at night.
An ultra sound showed no enlargement of my prostate.

My Urologist diagnosed me as having a corynebacteria.
The bacteria was found in a semen test I gave.
I treated this with CIPRO, a dosage of 2 x 500 mg per day for 6 weeks.

After a recent semen test I am pleased to say, I am cured of the Corynebacteria but now enterococci has appeared in my semen and I have been prescribed 5 weeks of AUGMENTIN, dosage = 2 x 1000 mg per day. 2 grams a day!! I still have frequent urination, day only.

Would you be so kind as to answer some questions for me as I don't understand and have no one to ask.

Is enterrococci a common bacteria found in semen?
Is it necessary to treat this enterococci bacteria?
What will happen if I decide not to treat this bacteria with antibiotics?
Can this be treated with alternative medicine?
I'd appreciate any information you my have or know about how this bacteria gets into the prostate gland?
Is this a usual dosage of AUGMENTIN?
Is taking Augmentin for 5 weeks likely to cause other problems?
Is it safe to have intercourse? I mean, can this enterococci be passed to my wife and then ping pong?
Can you give me an idea of where this enterococci bacteria could have come from?
What are the chances of this Enterococci recurring?
My urologist "THINKS" this frequency is caused by the enterococci, therefore suggests the treatment of Augmentin but he is not saying I MUST definitely take the treatment. Can I assume this is not that serious?
I still don't know how this bacteria got into my prostate gland and how dangerous it actually is, can you tell me?
Last year I had a stomach upset and Blastocystis Hominus was found, could there be a connection?

I made a sperm count test & results were bad, lower than 2%. My Urologist also said this COULD be due to the bacteria (& bacteria COULD be reason frequency, I wish he'd make up his mind) and expects the count to normalise after Augmentin treatment, I hope he's right.

Finally, my urologist said "if we want children, then treat the enterococci, otherwise don
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

To answer your questions:
1) Semen producing organs include the testis, epididymis, seminal vesicles, prostate and urethra.  Theoretically, diseases in any one of those organs may be detectable in ejaculated semen specimens.  Thus, it is certainly possible for enterococcus to be present in the semen.

2) If enterococci is detected, it would be advisable to treat or risk having your symptoms continue.

3) Infertility may be a possibility if the bacteria is not cleared from the semen.  

4) There are no peer-reviewed studies regarding alternative medicine in this context.  There may be anecdotal reports, but no physician consensus regarding the role fo alternative medicine.

5) Entry of microorganisms into the prostate gland almost always occurs via the urethra. In most cases, bacteria migrate from the urethra or bladder through the prostatic ducts, with intraprostatic reflux of urine. As a result, there may be concomitant infection in the bladder or epididymis.

6) Typically Augmentin is 875mg 2x/day.  It is possible you may be taking Augmentin XR (which is dosed in 1000mg tablets).

7) The length of treatment for chronic prostatitis is 4-12 weeks.  Typically extended treatment should be ok in the presence of close physician supervision.

8) Barrier contraception should be practiced (i.e. condoms) until the bacteria in the semen has cleared.

9) If the bacterial prostatis has not been adequately treated, it will have a likely chance of recurring.  

Make sure that cultures and sensitivities were performed to ensure that the bacteria is sensitive to the Augmentin.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
0
0