Urology Community
Bactrim and neutrophils
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bactrim and neutrophils

I had a UTI that I have not recovered from and in blood work I had low WBC and low neutrophils with slightly elevated monocytes. I still feel I have the UTI and going back to Urgent Care Cnter. I understand that Bactrim kills folic acid. Isn't folic acid related to production of neutrophils? If so is it safe for me to take Bactrim?
Blank
1711789 tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Yes, bactrim is related to reduced folic acid levels, while this is a temporary effect in most cases as levels normalize as infection clears and antibiotic is discontinued. Folic acid is utilised for production of most cells in the body and a deficiency is unlikely to be associated with low neutrophil count alone. I would suggest consulting your treating doctor for a detailed evaluation and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1711789 tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Yes, bactrim is related to reduced folic acid levels, while this is a temporary effect in most cases as levels normalize as infection clears and antibiotic is discontinued. Folic acid is utilised for production of most cells in the body and a deficiency is unlikely to be associated with low neutrophil count alone. I would suggest consulting your treating doctor for a detailed evaluation and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Blank
Thank you for your time and information. You are most appreciated.

Caitrina
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Urology Community Resources
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449507972
Blank