Urology Community
Bactrim and neutrophils

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Bactrim and neutrophils

I had a UTI that I have not recovered from and in blood work I had low WBC and low neutrophils with slightly elevated monocytes. I still feel I have the UTI and going back to Urgent Care Cnter. I understand that Bactrim kills folic acid. Isn't folic acid related to production of neutrophils? If so is it safe for me to take Bactrim?
Hi there!

Yes, bactrim is related to reduced folic acid levels, while this is a temporary effect in most cases as levels normalize as infection clears and antibiotic is discontinued. Folic acid is utilised for production of most cells in the body and a deficiency is unlikely to be associated with low neutrophil count alone. I would suggest consulting your treating doctor for a detailed evaluation and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Hi there!

Hope this helps.

Take care!
Thank you for your time and information. You are most appreciated.

Caitrina