Urology Community
Balanitis left untreated for 4 years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Balanitis left untreated for 4 years

I'm a 23 year old male. I am uncircumcised. It's been a little over 4 years now that I developed the symptoms of Balanitis. The symptoms were burning, itching and foul smelling discharge. At the time I didn't know what it was, and was very embarrassed to tell anyone. Plus I didn't have any medical insurance to see a doctor, and still don't. Anyway, after a few weeks the symptoms went away in terms of the burning itching sensation, and foul smelling discharge. But the tip of the glands(opening of the urethra) remained swollen. I didn't experience any pain while urination or anything like that. So at that point, it became easy for me to ignore this problem, and sweep it under the rug, as I lacked the better judgment to forgo the embarrassment, and deal with this issue. This past month I learned about Balanitis and learned that the cause of mine was most likely caused by an accumulation of smegma underneath my foreskin. As embarrassing as it is, I did not know that my foreskin was meant to be pulled back and washed. Even when erect, my foreskin was never pulled back, I'm assuming due to a tight foreskin, So I did not know that the glands were meant to be exposed. I don't believe I have phimosis, because when I'm not erect, I'm now able to pull the foreskin all the way back exposing the glands. I've now been washing my glands with warm water each time I shower. My concerns now are how do I go about treating this. Currently, the glands are red, but not inflamed. The tip(opening of the urethra) is swollen red, But I don't have difficulty urinating, but I'm sure this has caused constriction of the urethra. There's no burning or itching, or foul smelling discharge. It's just redness, and a swollen tip. I used a topical corticosteroid cream for about 2 days and didn't see any improvement. I'm concerned that because I never took any course of action to treating the swollen tip of my glands, and the redness of the glands itself, I may have caused permanent scarring, or worse have put myself at risk of it being malign. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and also if there's anyone who can address my concerns that would be appreciated as well. thanks.
It would be wise to see a doctor as you still may need an antibiotic if the Balanitis has not cleared up completely.

The topical corticosteroid cream is not the correct medication for this.  You could speak to the pharmacist to recommend a cream.

The type of cream that I think would be better is an antifungal and antibacterial cream.  With the tip being still red, you may still have the balanitis infection or it is now Thrush.  As you had not been drawing back your foreskin and washing, the fungus that lives on us called Candida Albicans loves warm and moist conditions.

The type of cream for a fungal problem is Canesten or Canesten HC and also Trimovate, your pharmacist may recommend a different one.  You can purchase Canesten over the counter, by you do require a prescription (here in the UK) for Trimovate.

As a home remedy, drink live yogurt (this can applied to the genitalia as well - but it will feel cold).

It's a shame that you were not taught to draw back your skin and wash.  I have a 5 and 8 year old grandsons and always tell them that it is important to take their skin back and wash in that area.  

Sorry to hear that you were too embarassed to get treatment earlier.  
If you can afford to see a doctor, I would recommend that that would be wise.

Hope you are better soon.

Best wishes