Urology Community
Balanitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Balanitis

I'm a 30 y/o male with phimosis and a history of seborrheic dermatitis on my face and scalp. A few weeks ago noticed my penis glans (glands) started peeling. A white layer was coming off. I washed it off a few times a day with body soap. About two days ago it started getting very itchy and sensitive. When I retracted the foreskin, I had dozens of tiny white bumps all over the glans (glands) that release this odorless substance when rubbed. As of last night, the foreskin became irritated, turning red and impeding me from retracting it.

I've been with the same partner for 2 years and she recently was tested and came clean of any STDs. Everything I've read online points to BALANITIS. So I bought a Clotrimazole 1% cream and squeezed it onto the affected area. I also got a few doxycycline antibiotics just in case.

My question is... I understand that different causes of Balanitis call for different treatments. I'm pretty sure mine is caused by seborrheic dermatitis. What is the right treatment for me?
Hi there!

Seborrhoeic dermatitis does not typically affect the glans (glands). Without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include infections, inflammations, cysts, warts etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician or a dermatologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!