Urology Community
Bed wetting???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Bed wetting???

My son is 9 yrs old and still wets the bed at night he is on imipramine and has been for a little over a year, and it's been working really good he does not have accidents during the day (at school) any more. But still needs to wear a pull up at night.  He was also dx with develpmental apraxia of speech at the age of 3.  And has been is speech therapy since, his speech has gotten alot better. He also seems to be overly sensative and this has been going on for a long while now.  I don't understand why he is overly sensative.  He has trouble with comprehension with reading, hand writing is ok, but is better when he slows down, does good in math, likes school, interacts with other kids, doesn't seem to have a best friend, while most boys in the class play with each other in school and outside of school.  Says that the boys in his class are mean.  I worry that he doesn't seem to have a good friend at school.  He seems to be ok with not having a good friend but I think it would benifit him if he did.

I am really worried about him being overly sensative, if he doesn't get something he wants he just bursts into tears, or if he thinks he should've had or got something gets all upset.  He is delayed due to his speech delay so sometimes him tryig to get out a thought or a sentence is not always easy and takes some time.  I don't know if it's his medicine that he is on that is causing this or if it's something else.

He has been tested for autism when he was just starting speech therapy.  Because I thought he had some of the sysmptoms.  They said he did not have it.
I would appericate your feed back on this.
-6 Comments Post a Comment
Hello!
This is just one mom to another...My daughter is also 9 and still has to wear pullups to bed...She too has similar behavior as your son..and, per every other honest parent, the same behavior as their 9 yr olds...I was concerned i was seeing clinical depression starting, as it does run in the family...her Dr said that she was "right on track" and the emotional outbursts were merely her attempting to express independence and becoming frustrated with the process of learning how...he also asked her if the bed wetting bothered her and if she felt she needed to do something about it...She said no...He gave me some pointers on confidence building and told me to let her make some of her own decisions (eg. what to wear to school, etc.)...Be glad he is not like my daughter's aggressive classmate...Who thought shoving and hitting others was an appropriate way to express one's self...hope this helps...Good luck!
Wow, someone else undersands what happens in my house.....my sons doctor asked him the same question and he gave him the same answer, I have an appt. for him in a few weeks and i am going to ask him about his being so sensative.  I hope and pray that he has some kind of answer or suggestion, I have asked his regular doctor but she's wasn't worried about it at the time, partly cause of his speech delay, he's delayed a little bit. (mainly reading, and comprhension).  Thanks....and good luck to you as well.
I was reading some of the comments on this web site and your story was the one that I related to my son is 9 yrs old and still wets the bed he was diagnosed ADHD when he started Pre-K and we (had) to put him on Adderall (adderrall) XR. He adjusted well the behavior problems stopped and it became VERY nice to be around him the only thing we have yet to kick the bed wetting problem.  When he started 3rd grade we came off the meds because he became depressed and almost like medication was not helping anymore.  He went from 63 lbs to 99 lbs almost overnight and looking back I can see all the red flags but he was doing so good in school with out the meds and that after all is the reason you give it (I was told) it is not suppose to be used for fixing behavior problems.  I have tried to be and do everything to help him but he seams to be more and more aggressive to me.  When he started 4th grade this yr we had to put him back on his meds again it only helps in his class he is doing GREAT in school but when he comes to my house I have had to start videoing him to show his father the how bad his episodes  are becoming.  His fits range from crying his eyes out, Yelling that he hates me,  kicking walls, pushing or hitting his 2yr old epileptic step-sister, punching furniture, ect. I am the only one who really sees this kind of behavior.  I know that counciling is something I have been trying get his father to open up too because he has been through so much, but we are still not on the same page yet.  I feel so bad for saying this but I find myself pulling away and dreading picking him up it is so exausting to even ride in the car, do homework, eat dinner, i even fight with him to brush his teeth and go to bed.  There are 2 other kids in the house as well my 12 yr old and 2yr old future step-daughters.  I love my son with all my heart and I am willing to do anything to help him!  Thank you so very much for telling your story even though bed wetting is the topic I no longer fell like I am alone! Thank you.

Mie_Mie