Urology Expert Forum
Bilateral Urinary Reflux

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Bilateral Urinary Reflux

My son was born 10/97.  In 11/97, he developed a UTI.  He spent 8 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics.  His diagnosis was Bilateral Urinary Reflux.  He was put on Bactrim and still is taking it once a day.  He has had 2 VCUG's.  The first in 12/97, determined his reflux at stage 2.  His recent test showed his condition to have worsened to stage 3.  My son's Urologist feels that by this time next year he will need corrective surgery.  He feels the reflux is going to worsen over time and for us to prepare for the need of surgery.  My son is 1 year old and except for the UTI in 11/97, he has not had another infection.  How can surgery be inevitable if he is not chronically getting infections? We are concerned of putting him through unnecessary surgery.    

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Urinary tract infections in children are a common problem. Bladder infections alone are not dangerous . However, reflux of urine into the kidney in combination with urinary tract infections can lead to kidney damage. Diagnosis of reflux in childhood must be made to prevent this damage. The evaluation of a child with recurrent UTI
A related discussion, urinary reflux was started.
my son was born march of 2002, during a routine ultrasound at 19 weeks gestation it was found that he had reflux but only on the right side and his right kidney was smaller than his left.  Further routine scans were done during his pregnancy which showed that the renal reflux was gettin worse and eventually showed it was bilaterally.  When he was 5 days old he had an mcu which showed he had grade 5 bilateral renal reflux.  He was constantly gettin urine infections until our pediatrican advised us that having him circumsised would help to prevent him gettin further infections to which it did he hasnt had another urine infection since he was 8 1/2 months old.  And the reason for agreeing to this surgery is that each infection increases the amount of damage that is done to his kidneys.  My son had corrective reinplantation surgery when he was 16 months old and his renal reflux is now only a grade two he is an extremely healthy happy little boy and only needs a check up every two years he has no side effects at all the best thing i did was agreeing to the surgery just remember to research thoroughly and look into all options and all possibilities.  Good Luck