Urology Expert Forum
Bladder Spasms due to Cauda Equina Syndrome
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Bladder Spasms due to Cauda Equina Syndrome

I have had Cauda Equina Syndrome since 1998 my first surgery, my second being in 2000, this resulting from a herniated disc at the L5/S1 level of my spinal cord.  I do have the saddle anesthia, loss of bladder and bowel, weakness in the right leg coupled with the loss of reflexes. After the first surgery I still had the urge to go still intact while after the 2nd it was gone. I have had and increasingly worse "bladder Spasms"  in which they are extreamly painful with the loss of all bladder contents, sometimes coupled with the spasm I do have orgasms, but the pain wins. At times when I go to cath when I touch myself this also couses the loss of bladder contents with no spasm. I have had Urodynamic Testing in which the bladder is totaly flaccid along with an pelvic floor and rectal floor EMG which also shows no tone of those muscles. I have tried Detrol, Detrol LA and Ditropan.  No go with these meds.  I currently take Baclophen 10mg three times a day.  According to the top Urologist in my area (Kevin Pranikoff) they shouldn't be happening, but he does think that my body becomes used to a drug therefore the efficacy just isn't there.  I know that the peripheral pathway has been severed and probably contributes to this and that the pathway that may have "grown back" is not the correct pathway.  Would there be any other suggestions that I may suggest to my doctor or any other testing that may be helpful in this matter, I will be seeing him in the middle of June. Thankyou for your time and consideration.  Cordelia