Urology Community
Bladder Wall Thickening

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Bladder Wall Thickening

Can anyone tell me what causes diffusely bladder wall thickening?  It showed up on a CT scan that I had yesterday.  Doctor's office called to say that I need to have a cystoscopy which they scheduled for Friday, November 10.  When I asked what could cause the thickening the nurse wouldn't give me a straight answer.  The initial CT scan was for microscopic hematuria. No sign of infection in bloodwork.  Went to see doctor for weight loss(9 pounds)in the last couple of weeks - no pain, just some mild discomfort.  Also unable to keep food down, scheduled to have endoscopy and colonoscopy at the end of the month. Thanks in advance for your help - would like to know what I might be dealing with prior to seeing the urologist and having the procedure done.
I would get the procedure done right away.

It could be inflamation (inflammation) from an infection, kidney stone, or it is also possible that it could be cancer. Its way too soon to tell with the ammount of info that you would be able to get from those tests, but it definately warrants further investigation. Both hematuria and thickening of the bladder wall can be vague symptoms, but symptoms of something that needs to be discovered, either way.
Thanks for the information.  I did go the doctor last week, however, he was unable to do the scope.  He has reschedule it for December 16.  He says the thickening could be caused by a hysterectomy I had in 2001.  I have never heard of this happening before.  My husband wants me to find another doctor - he is afraid that it is cancer and doesn't want to wait.  I have also lost another pound, so he is getting very nervous.  Do you know if it possible that the hysterectomy could cause this, and if so, how can it be corrected!  Thanks in advance for any and all information!

Beth
I am a 40 year old man who have according to ultrasound circumferefntial bladder wall thickening up to 1 cm and normal bladder volume. small blood in urinalysis .no blood macroscopic or in microscopic. calcium in blood work minimally low and normal albumin.no weight loss.. no history of kidney stone.no familly history of any cancer. I coming originally from Iran never had documented schistosomiasis or urinary tract infection. No sign and symptome of frequency dysuria or hematuria. playing soccor and physically active. wrking as a chemist.What might be the problem?
My 9 year old daughter has had bladder pain and pain when urinating for 2 weeks now. She had a urethral cyst removed when she was 3. No uti, cultures neg, she has also had some dribbling of urine. The urologist did a scope, and said it looks ok. She did have some thickening of the bladder, however thinks it may be from when she was 3. She is very uncomfortable. She has always had small amounts of blood in her urine, which he said can run in families, and isnt concerned. (her dad and grandfather also have blood in their urine. Her ultrasound was normal except for 30ccs of urine left in her bladder after voiding. he started her on amitryptilline once daily. What next, shes still in pain?
Hi, Im 28 yrs old,woman. I had a UTI history and Im suffering now a back pain and frequently urinating during at night. I had urine and culture test and it was negative for infection. I had undergone a transvaginal test and the doctor says my endometrium is thickened....The endometrium is hyperechoic measures 1.9cm with intact subendometrial halo. I also find out during my monthly menstrual period it lessen my urination. Anyone can interpret what I have now. Looking forward for your advise..Thank you so much..
what could be causing a 13 year old girl to wet the bed at night?  my daughter has never stopped bedwetting.  its embarrassing for her and she never has sleepovers like her friends because of it.  what can be done to help her?
Hi I am curious if someone could help me.  I have had Kidney stones for several years after my last baby pinched off my kidney.  I have bilateral kidney infections that put me in the hospital several times a year.  I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and now they are telling my my bladder is abnoramallly thick and is double in size.  I have trouble uninating and really have swelling and discomfort.  I was scheduled for a cystoscope tomm and the doctor called to cancel.  I have to wait until Oct, 23rd now and I was wondering if I am anxious or should I be worried?  Thanks
My Dr. said I had thickening of the bladder and put me on pills.
I didn't take them yet. I'm on other pills from a difffernt Dr. and want to make sure they do not have a bad reaction together.  Shortly after
that occasionally I started wetting the bed. I've lost 45 pounds.
Has anyone else had a similiar experience?
Thank you.
60 YEAR OLD TOLD THAT I HAVE THICKENING OF BLADDER.  PAIN BELOW WAISTLINE IN BACK.  HAD COMPLETE HYSTERECTOMY 6 YEARS AGO.  AM BEING SENT FOR CYSTO.
Please check this link out for a great explanation as to what thickening of the bladder is and caused from.

http://www.urologyedinburgh.co.uk/new_page_147.htm
Hi - my dad had a thickening of the bladder wall on a CT scan.  (After a week long struggle with blood in urine, pain and urgency). He said he passed 2 stones 1 day after the CT scan.

When they saw the thickening, they sent him for a cystoscopy. They say they found a mass/tumor. Now they are doing another cystoscopy, transurethral resection (TUR) and something else called retrograde ______.

They say that it is going to be an in and out procedure. When I asked my dad if they gave him any details about this mass/tumor that they found.  All he could tell me was that through cystoscopy they said it was on the outside.

Is that good. Because it really doesn't make any sense as a cystoscope would be looking only at the inside of the bladder - not the outside.  Anyway, his surgery is scheduled for tomorrow and I'm so worried.  

With the procedures they are doing, I would assume that they believe it to be either non-invasive or benign.  I have read so much varying info on line.  At 1st, I read that 80-90% of bladder tumors are found when non-invasive and that they 5 year survival rate is around 90%.  I can't find any info on benign tumors though.  My hunch is that benign ones are rare???  

Does anyone know the stats for benign growths found through cystoscopy vs. tumors? I mean, which is more common?

And, how is a TUR an "in and out" procedure? Has anyone else had a TUR and gone home same day?  If so, what was that like?  Were there complications?  Were you ok?

Thanks - I am so stressed right now.    

My advice to anyone with a "thickening of the bladder wall" - have the scope done and move forward quickly.  From what I read, if it is some sort of tumor than you have a high chance of survival if found early enough.  

what if you've never had a hystorectomy and there is no pain? all I was told is that there is a thickening of the wall in my bladder.
What causes bladder wall thickening
What causes bladder wall thickening
I am a 25 yr old mother of two, I have sjogren's syndrom (syndrome), sciatica, rt ovarian cyst, mild dysplasia, I have been having night sweats every night for over a month now, I have also lost 10 pounds in 1 month, I have constant random low grade fevers, fatigue, malaise, and have excreted protein through my urine. I am not sure what causes this. I had a pelvic ultrasound almost a year ago and that is when they saw the ovarian cyst, and stated there was a small amount of free fluid in my pelvis, and then on an ultrasound they saw mild bladder wall thickening. What does all of this mean?
Just want to know what means " Upper limit in size kidney for this age group.  Thickening of the urinary bladder wall my suggest cystitis" My son was only 7 when diagnosed and did the ultrasound.  Now my son is 10 yrs old and doctor said that 2 kidney of my son are started to shrink.  It this possible?  Is the above diagnosed related with what happening to him.
Hope you could lighten me.  thank you.
It is so great to find an online place to have these questions asked and answered. Not everyone wants to discuss urinary incontinence treatment or bladder wall thickening and colonoscopy tests with their friends and family, or even their doctor. I hope all goes well with your tests; it sounds like you've got a busy month at the doctor. I hope they figure out what caused the problem and find a way to fix it.
I am a 25 y.o female. I have a long history of uti, kidney stones, and kidney infections. I was recently diagnosed with a uretricpelvic junction obstruction and a urethral stricture this past december as well as dilated renal collecting systems and thickening of the bladder.i have back pain and this cramping pain under my ribs. I see the mayo clinic for the first time on may 7th and was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with these diagnosis.?? Thanks in advance for any feedback!
I would most certianly find another MD. You are not getting the answers you need and NO BLOOD should be found in urine. If your daughter is in pain and is not urinating on a regular basis, and I am not talking about a dribble here and there then I would get a 2nd opinion. Just because he has a MD behind his name dose not mean he is right. Get a 2nd opinion. She is YOUR child and it is up to YOU to look out for her health.
I had flank pain for 2 years, as well as hematuria & other symptoms, and was misdiagnosed with UTI's during that time.  Today (4-22-14) I went to a Urologist appointment to find out I have Urethral Syndrome, and the pains, etc were never a UTI.  I'm SO glad I was finally referred to him.  He is one of the best Dr's I've ever visited.  He knew within 5-10 minutes what my problem was.  I hope this helps you.
I had flank pain for 2 years, as well as hematuria & other symptoms, and was misdiagnosed with UTI's during that entire time.  Today (4-22-14) I went to a Urologist appointment to find out I have Urethral Syndrome, and the pains, etc were never a UTI.  I'm SO glad I was finally referred to him.  He is one of the best Dr's I've ever visited.  He knew within 5-10 minutes what my problem was.  I hope this helps you.
I have had right flank and back pain and testicular pain for about five months. I went to the doctor last week to see what was up. He checked me for hernias and that was neg. he told me he suspected kidney stones. I took a non contrast ct scan, blood work, and a urine analysis test the same day. The urine test was neg for any blood or infection. A few days later he called me with the results of the blood work and ct scan. He said I had multiple calcifications either in the right kidney or ureter. But he said he was concerned that my bladder was dissented with thick walls. He told me he wanted a contrast ct done and was referring me to a urologist. The blood work was neg for everything else including infection. I am still waiting for my call from the urologist and the date for my second act scan. Should I be worried? I have also had an upset stomach/nausea for around the same amount of time. I'm only 24 I used to chew, and have been around some nasty smoke/ chemicals due to my line of work.
DOES ANYONE KNOW OUT THERE IF, DRINKING ONE THESE TEAS COULD CAUSE YOU TO HAVE BLOOD IN YOUR URINE  AND THICKEN YOU BLADDER WALL?????? CHAMOMILE W/ LAVENDER, ORGANIC GINGER, TULSI, GREEN TEA HONEY LEMON GINSENG W/ WHITE TEA????????????? WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WITH ANY INFO REGUARDING THIS. THANK YOU......
What causes a bladder to have a diffusely thickened wall, attributed to nondistention. Thanks