Urology Community
Bladder lift, cathaer inserted, urinating problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I had a bladder lift with sling 5 days ago, a cathaer was inserted, and wea removed today.  It is 4:58am, and I have some minor burning, with unusual feeling to uninate.  When i rise, the urine leaks, runs down leg.  After that get slite burning feeling and sensation to uninate and only a few drops come.  This has been going on for about two hours  Seems my bladder is not empting.  Wondering if a warm bath would help. Can you help me?

I have had catheters in out on numerous occasions and over times things have sort of changed.

The very first times that the catheter was taken out, I had the sensation of needing to urinate frequently. I believe this is because we are not used to having something in the urethra. Most of the time this sentation should deminish after a couple of days.
One thing that might help is to drink lots of water or drinks that don't contain any cafeine. Anything with cafeine will irritate. In that same manner avoid spicy foods.

Over the last few years I have so many catheterizations that I no longer will experience too many effects from it. As for your question about warm, hot baths, they will provide temporary relief. The balloon at the end of the catheter can cause spasms of the bladder. For this I have been given Morphine, however a hot bath will give faster relief be it short term. Heating pads work, but don't give the same relief that a hot bath does.

One thing that we unconsiously do, is thrying to keep urinine from leaking out. Doing so can cause bladder spasms and burning. As gross as it might sound, while in a warm tub one is not as concerned about leaking urine. We are more relaxed compaired to being tense, trying to keep from leaking when we are dressed or in a situation where urine leakage could pose a problem.

All the best.

Ron